Sylvaneth questions from a newbie

MiniJunkie

Hey guys,

Trying to get into AoS and having a really hard time picking an army. I started diving into FEC but I'm becoming unsure because of the visual (and literal) lack of variety to the units. 

Sylvaneth seems appealing because there are more unit types (again, visually - the models) and more opportunities for painting and modeling (I'm a hobbyist first, gamer second).

That said, a couple of things I'm wondering:

- are they considered "OP"? I've read that facing Sylvaneth shooting (Kurnath?) can be very frustrating, for example. The reason I'm asking this is I'm not super competitive, and I want my opponent to have a fun time :)

- the wildwoods thing....to play these guys, do you basically need to invest in (and build/paint) THREE citadel wood kits and carry them around with your army? I find that a little off-putting and I'm surprised GW "went there" as an entry requirement. I'm much more interested in just painting the army itself. Do all of the Sylvaneth players have 3 Citadel Wood kits with them when they play? 

Interested in any points of view, experiences etc. Thanks!

OP was first reactions, as the Sylvaneth get their unique "codex" (battletome), with special artefacts, spells and more. In my gaming group was the same reaction, but now everyone is ok with Sylvaneth. There is nothing "OP" - Sylvaneth only get their very special way to play.

I own six wildwood by myself. Nothing special, as I use them as normal terrain in games of 40k. For mobile transport i cut templates of  carton (and for even more wildwood to conjure).

Hunters shooting is by no means OP. the only kindda OP thing about it, I think is the range. 30" is REALLY long :) but 6 shots, with not the best stats, usually you get 2 wounding hits, it's really not that OP in my book.

On the other hand, I have a single unit of them right now, with bows, and I really enjoy them. what makes them really good is also the 15 wounds combined for 180 points, that's a lot!

Archived