Strategies against sniper armies

meet.the.doctor

Hi,

I was wondering how do you guys deal with long range sniping armies. Probably the most popular threat are now the kurnoth hunters but in my case will be dark elves and their reaper bolt throwers. Supported by 2x20 darkshards.

Reapers 24 attacks on 36"

Darkshards 80 attacks on 16".

I am playing mixed Destruction and am wondering what is the best solution for the reapers mainly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 minutes ago, meet.the.doctor said:

Hi,

I was wondering how do you guys deal with long range sniping armies. Probably the most popular threat are now the kurnoth hunters but in my case will be dark elves and their reaper bolt throwers. Supported by 2x20 darkshards.

Reapers 24 attacks on 36"

Darkshards 80 attacks on 16".

I am playing mixed Destruction and am wondering what is the best solution for the reapers mainly.

As a DE player, there is no solution. Just submit ;)

As also a Ogor player speed and magic is your friend. Speed not necessarily by fielding sabres and mournfang. But also scouts and gorgers. 

Other suggestions are fielding eye catchers to draw the attention and fire. Do you play objectives?

Edit: from the top of my mind is it the stonehorn that halve wounds?

I was thinking of something like:
1.Bonesplitterz- Icebone Warclan in Destruction Alliance(Command Trait : Ravager) giving d6+2" move in the hero phase, + 11" move in the move phase, + chrage 2d6" = max range 31" (min. ..16");
2. Same as above but Classic Kunnin Rukk (min.30 arrers): d6+2 + 5 " in hero phase, + 5" in movement phase, and finally 90 attacks in shooting phase 18"= max 36" (min.31" might not make it..)
3. Hand of Gork (but has to be pure Bonesplitterz)
4... Collosal Squig! Any one played him? Or maybe Dread Maw?

Usually unattractive fast units like Chariots, wolves, boars are something that I've been considering for this job. They can screen or go after the sniping units. The sniping units can take them out while they are inbound, but that is cool because that means your characters aren't taking that fire. This is my hypothesis. I've not tested it yet. 

How about Doom Diver's ? 2 or 3 should do the job. Cant really say I ve tested this one, cause only recently I v acquired a second one, but should do the trick.

They hit/wound on 3+/3+, you don't have to see the target. If you miss, on roll of 4+ you can hit something else within 10". They have -1 rend and cause d6 damage if there is another DD catapult within 3" otherwise they do d3 damage. So, at least a pair is a must, if any that is.  

How about Doom Diver's ? 2 or 3 should do the job. Cant really say I ve tested this one, cause only recently I v acquired a second one, but should do the trick.

They hit/wound on 3+/3+, you don't have to see the target. If you miss, on roll of 4+ you can hit something else within 10". They have -1 rend and cause d6 damage if there is another DD catapult within 3" otherwise they do d3 damage. So, at least a pair is a must, if any that is.  

I was thinkink of that, but all our machines are too expensive. For 240 pts you get only... 2 shots. 3+ 3+.. 2x d6... If you are lucky it may scratch something. If they costed the same amount as Squig Gobba than I would be OK with that.

4 minutes ago, meet.the.doctor said:

I was thinkink of that, but all our machines are too expensive. For 240 pts you get only... 2 shots. 3+ 3+.. 2x d6... If you are lucky it may scratch something. If they costed the same amount as Squig Gobba than I would be OK with that.

True. For the amount of dark aelfs filth you have mentioned this will not do the trick :(.

13 minutes ago, meet.the.doctor said:

Honestly, never faced anything like that in AoS. So far anyway. Maybe 9 gore gruntas in 'gorefist' formation hitting those elfs in Turn 1. The problem is 'big pigs' are not all that great, when it comes to smashing power...

The issue I guess with the interception route is that it relies on the unit getting there, any general worth his iron would have at least considered ways to protect his investment; or at least considered it enough to be not worth protecting as a more cunning commander might leave them on an objective or completely off to one side.

I think Thundertusks are probably one of the greatest threats for pure ironjaw or armies without shooting. 6 mortal wounds streight up until we hit them? Thats 12 a turn for two. Not even began to think of Scavenn yet. Hitting them on turn 1/2 is a good start.

If I were to run goregrunters, I wouldn't use the gorefist, I would put all 9 into one unit and just throw them at something. With all the warchanter buff.

Archived