2K skyborn

Sneak

Read a couple threads from you guys on skyborn slayers and would like opinions on my list for a local event in november.  Worried its hero light. Game plan is to teleport the ret bomb and skyborn slayers on top of whatever needs dead. I have a problem with Nagash / ghoul patrol and skyre lists in local meta so I want to play something I can get behind the mass of ghouls and kill Nagash on turn one or two.

Lord Celestant (100)

Knight Vexillor (200)

Liberators x 5 (100)

Liberators x 5 (100)

Judicators x 5 (160)

Judicators x 5 (160)

Paladin Protectors x 10 - 4 soulstar mace (400)

Paladin Decimators x 5 (200)

Paladin Retributors x 10 - 4 soulstar mace (440)

The Skyborne Slayers (140)

Total: 2000/2000

Since you're already going to be able to deep strike any big potentional threat, you could drop the vexillor and put in a heraldor and a relictor. 

This will give you an extra hero and you'll still be able to move a unit that little bit faster to deal with any other threat. The extra mortal wounds they provide are nice too. 

6 hours ago, Olincay said:

This will give you an extra hero and you'll still be able to move a unit that little bit faster to deal with any other threat. The extra mortal wounds they provide are nice too. 

Would that not leave the rets stranded to an extent. Having the vexillor would provide an instant mobility instead of having to foot-slog it up the board.

I do understand where your coming from and playing teleporting all the time, running 10 rets backed my a relictor and heraldor is quite nice!

31 minutes ago, kozokus said:

I tend to prefer the Prime or Dracoths

I always run the slayers with the Celstant prime, hes epic.

3 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

Would that not leave the rets stranded to an extent. Having the vexillor would provide an instant mobility instead of having to foot-slog it up the board.

I do understand where your coming from and playing teleporting all the time, running 10 rets backed my a relictor and heraldor is quite nice!

I always run the slayers with the Celstant prime, hes epic.

Yea quite possibly, with the majority of his army deepstriking where ever it wants, having rets run up might not be so bad? 

I mainly suggested it to try and sneak another hero in.

Yeah, I suppose. But you'll never get the drop on that one target without the Vexillor. Rets are your hammer from hell unit, so utilising the full capability is important. But, with SE being a commonly played army the vex + Ret combo is obvious.  I've played the vex + 4 fulminators combo in action and by Christ it does some damage! Fulminators are nasty, and they don't expect you to teleport cavalry.

but, on the flip side of that coin running your rets isn't a bad thing either. Relictor and heraldor are good combatants and the heraldor buffing the rets across the board would see you over in enemy territory in 2 turns no doubt. 

With all this said, I use the celestant prime, dropping him in at turn 3, close to the Lord celestant to get that +1 to hit and pick a key target. He is so destructive in combat and also his shooting ability is an AOE bomb. I think he provides more utility than the rets could ever provide. And he's cheaper, but is a glass hammer. 

With the slayers and the celestant prime, there's enough points to get a heraldor and 5 rets in. That's a nice little reinforcing unit in itself.

Wow guys thanks for all in input. I guess my whole strategy is a one two punch on whatever targets I need dead and mop up the rest. I've noticed in AOS there are always 2-3 key things that need killing then the game is over. 

If I had a prime I'd try it, but I've spent enfound moneys on AOS ;)! The relictor and heraldor direction I am definitly going to try I had a list that was the relictor and venator but maybe heraldor is better. I just dont want my ret bomb stuck fighting things like ard boys and ghouls. 

As for the negash list its something like two ghoul kings on terrorghiests or one on a zombit dragon, Nagash, and all ghouls... Its pretty strong and won the last event. but im pretty sure if I teleport ontop of him nagash is dead. 

23 minutes ago, Sneak said:

but im pretty sure if I teleport ontop of him nagash is dead. 

Yeah, 10 rets would pop him, you'd take some return damage i presume, but 2 rounds he'd last, 2 rounds maximum.

26 minutes ago, Sneak said:

If I had a prime I'd try it

Celestant Prime would one shot him on a turn 3-4 drop i presume. Hell, celestant prime one-shotted Archaon on a turn 4 drop a while back. Takes some restraint holding the prime back until turn 4 though. I myself have never done that, turn 3 usually provides enough attacks.

Don't forget, with the slayers try to really focus fire with your judicators. Better to put two units of judicators onto one target than splitting it. Usually a hero of some type, really softens them up for combat. Couple that with your lord celestant cloak attacks and it really swings combat in your favor.

How do you fair with 10 protectors? I only run 5 prots and 5 decimators in my slayers list as i like to include more 'outside' utility rather than rely heavily on my slayers formation.

1 minute ago, Dracothjay said:

How do you fair with 10 protectors? I only run 5 prots and 5 decimators in my slayers list as i like to include more 'outside' utility rather than rely heavily on my slayers formation.

I havent played the list yet but on paper the protectors seem pretty good. If I was to cut anything to add it would be 5 of them though. Deep down I actually want to decimators :D

A list iv'e been contemplating looks very similar to our conversation:

Lord Celestant - reckless and +1 attack

Celestant Prime

Knight Heraldor

Lord Castellant - -2 rend (or relictor for them healssss)

5 Judicators

5 Judicators

5 liberators

5 liberators

5 Decimators

5 Protectors

5 Retributors

1 Gryph hound

my 5 rets approach with castellant and heraldor, Castellant dropping the +1 save on the rest incase of incoming fire. Drop my slayers to shield the advance of my rets and as my rets finally see themselves into combat drop my Celestant Prime.

6 minutes ago, Sneak said:

I actually want to decimators

Yeah, i heard you buddy! The problem is you gotta rely on the hope of a horde army like Orruks or Beastmen for Decimators to achieve their true potential. If i had to chose between decimators or protectors, it would be the prots, simply for the fact of guaranteed 3 attacks each. Oh, and hiding them behind your liberators and getting your 3'' reach over them. It's a free combat pretty much.

19 minutes ago, Sneak said:

As for the negash list its something like two ghoul kings on terrorghiests or one on a zombit dragon, Nagash, and all ghouls... Its pretty strong and won the last event. but im pretty sure if I teleport ontop of him nagash is dead. 

I have trouble figurin' how all this fit in a 2K list but i believe you.

On the Nagash subect, be careful of the 4++, that's the best part. He will probably bunker him so teleporting on him will be difficult.

3 minutes ago, kozokus said:

On the Nagash subect, be careful of the 4++, that's the best part. He will probably bunker him so teleporting on him will be difficult.

Too right. Your opponent will predict the vexillor teleporting the rets. Whenever my opponent has seen the combo, bunkering/castleing up is the go to solution.

Thats why Celestant prime works wonders with this list. Break their lines up then when there's an opening drop in your prime.

7 hours ago, Dracothjay said:

Yeah, I suppose. But you'll never get the drop on that one target without the Vexillor. Rets are your hammer from hell unit, so utilising the full capability is important. But, with SE being a commonly played army the vex + Ret combo is obvious.  I've played the vex + 4 fulminators combo in action and by Christ it does some damage! Fulminators are nasty, and they don't expect you to teleport cavalry.

but, on the flip side of that coin running your rets isn't a bad thing either. Relictor and heraldor are good combatants and the heraldor buffing the rets across the board would see you over in enemy territory in 2 turns no doubt. 

With all this said, I use the celestant prime, dropping him in at turn 3, close to the Lord celestant to get that +1 to hit and pick a key target. He is so destructive in combat and also his shooting ability is an AOE bomb. I think he provides more utility than the rets could ever provide. And he's cheaper, but is a glass hammer. 

With the slayers and the celestant prime, there's enough points to get a heraldor and 5 rets in. That's a nice little reinforcing unit in itself.

I know the vexillor and x4 fulminators all too well. Playing against it first time I was aware of what he does, but as you say people dont always expect cavalry being teleported and I fell for it. Nek minnute all my concussors are gone haha.

Im liking your prime, rets and heraldor idea.

Archived