Need some help and ideas ^^:;;

OneofUndivided

Hi all. I've recently just joined the forums and saw all the impressive work that everyone is getting on with, a lot of amazing armies out there with fantastic looking models. If i had to list all of the armies or models i liked on here i would be here all day xD

A little background on me, i have been in the hobby for about half my life (14 years give or take), and i've built up and gamed with pretty much all of the armies bar a few. But i have to embaressingly admit to never having a painted army before, nor a unit. Mostly its down to rushing and trying to get something done quickly as possible that i start to get anxiety issues and then the project slowly falls apart ^^:;;

So what i have decided to do is to commit myself to a year long project. One i can take my time on and not rush to get to the table. I would like to play with the army at some point, but first i would like to get it on its way before i start to play. 

My idea is to do an undivided chaos army, one that isn't influenced by the current chaos gods, but are more in it for just the mayhem, looting, pillaging, and giving all that is good and just a good kicking (no offence to you order players xD ). So it will be a mortal chaos army, with no daemons or marked units (ones with the keywords), but monsters will be allowed. As such i'm kicking off with the chaos starter set, and i am making nice progress with it, i even ordered some wulfen storm shields to take the place of the chaos warriors regular shields. Colour scheme wise i'm still tossing back and forth. 

But the first hurdle i have run into is with the chaos warriors themselves. I'm not sure what to do with them (exception being the shield), luckily they don't really have any chaos insignia on them, but i'm wondering what i can do to change them up a bit to make them seem less like just a chaos warrior with a shield swap.

I would like to make this the army that finally gets me fully invested into the hobby. So any idea's would be a massive massive help to me. 

Hope to hear from you all soon, and sorry for the long intro xD 

wouldn't the heads be a little small ? 

i've never really done a lot of kit bashing before so i'm not sure what works ^^:;

Would the space wolf and wulfen heads make a good fit do you think ? the wulfen ones making some look like they are going sort of feral and berserk, barely contained rage in an iron suit. 

idea wise i don't have a lot yet, still in the planning stages ^^:;;

For me it is imperative to have a good backstory. For my elven cult of slaanesh I have written some pieces of fluff and I know what drives the main characters. You don't have to go that far, but some backstory can really help to create your army. I like to create units and characters that either fit the story or look cool, preferrably both:) 

you've already made some decisions that will shape the army. But I think you need to think about what drives them. Just running around kicking ass and looting gold is a little to easy. Why do they do this? Is it to survive, do they take slaves to sell? Or do they seek the blessing of some godling or daemon? There are some really nice pieces of fluff in the 6th edition hordes of chaos book that could offer some inspiration. There is a story about a nomadische tribe that seeks the blessing of a daemon that is also one of their ancestors. I think it was called 'urlf-daemonkin' 

You could also have one champion following one of the chaos Gods, using the entire tribe to further his goals. Or... Well there is so much to think of. I think you should continue your idea of using wulfen parts. The suggested bare heads also seem like a good idea. I like the idea that a full suit of chaos armour is something rare. Also, look at artworks that you like to inspire some conversion work and don't be affraid to challenge your skills.

and most important: have fun! The hardest part can be staying motivated.

You ever had that sinking feeling you built something up too quickly without thinking and wished you slowed down ? xD

Yeah i probably should have put off adding the heads to the chaos warriors. Got that new model excitement flowing through me when i got them. Oh well, if i can't get the heads off i will have some test models at least xD

For the sorcerer model i have another model from way back i could use, its the old mordheim priest of ulric. This one (not my picture)

Warhammer-Fantasy-Empire-Priest-of-Ulric

Well my idea was to go for an undivided chaos army, one that fights as mortals and heeds not the words and whispers of daemons. The Sorcerer/Shaman of the tribe hears the whispers but does not follow them despite the suffering they promise. But one time he heard another voice during one of the raids after the battle, one he had not heard before. It asked him if he was a follower of true chaos, or simply another pretender wishing to claim the realms as his own. His eyes felt heavy as they shut tight, and he saw the vision of a large blue furred beast, greater in size than any mountain, its red eyes fixed upon him as he trembled at the sight. It said will you walk the path of the beast, or will you simply become its meal as time goes on. 

Its not a great story, but its basic. I liked the idea that there was another deity, greater or minor its hard to tell with all the things going on in the realms. I would like the tribe to be undivided as said, followers of the beast. Lots of monsters, runes, beast skulls, tailsmens. I ordered like i said before a lot of the space wolf wulfen storm shields, enough to kit out a unit of 10 chaos warriors. That's why i was thinking about the heads and different ways of doing it. All the big horned heads give a more demonic feel to the chaos warriors. Not sure on some of the wilder hair do's of the space wolves, the marauder horsemen heads would be good, but getting a hold of them is really difficult. 

Also wondering if i should go wooden or metal shields for the chaos warriors. I know i ordered the wulfen shields, but i could find a way to use them else where or i have spare bits for future ideas. Would love to hear more input, your all a big help ^^ 

Archived