Absolute beginner 2k chariot list, advice needed!

Deathadder99

Hi TGA!
Recently got into AoS, have been diligently painting away, but not really done any list building. I've painted all of the Seraphon start collecting box, but I gave that one to a friend because Order doesn't really appeal to me.

I really love the "Gorebeast Chariot" model and I understand that AoS is all about synergies. I picked up on two obvious synergies that I would like to take advantage of - Bloab Rotspawn's Unique Spell, and the Bloodstoker's ability combined with Khorne Marks on the Gorebeast Chariots.

I'm almost certainly going to start with the Chaos Start Collecting Box, and a Lord of Chaos on Daemonic Mount as I like that model as well, and his command ability synergises with the Chariots. I generally like Chariots as well.

Without further ado - here is the list. I also get a reasonable discount by being able to get two start collecting boxes and using them instead of buying the Warriors, Knights and Chariots separately.

General: Lord of Chaos on Daemonic Mount. Mark of Tzeentch. - 140

Leaders:
Bloab Rotspawned - 260
Bloodstoker - 80

Battlelines:
10x Chaos Warrior

10x Chaos Warrior - 180

10x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch - 140

Units:
5x Chaos Knights - 200

2x Gorebeast Chariot. Mark of Khorne - 200

Exalted Seeker Chariot of Slaanesh - 140

2x Burning Chariot of Tzeentch - 320

Mighty Skullcrushers of Khorne - 160

I tried to focus on doing damage in as many phases as possible to maximise Bloab's impact, and have a reasonable amount of speed. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

16 minutes ago, Deathadder99 said:

Hi TGA!
Recently got into AoS, have been diligently painting away, but not really done any list building. I've painted all of the Seraphon start collecting box, but I gave that one to a friend because Order doesn't really appeal to me.

I really love the "Gorebeast Chariot" model and I understand that AoS is all about synergies. I picked up on two obvious synergies that I would like to take advantage of - Bloab Rotspawn's Unique Spell, and the Bloodstoker's ability combined with Khorne Marks on the Gorebeast Chariots.

I'm almost certainly going to start with the Chaos Start Collecting Box, and a Lord of Chaos on Daemonic Mount as I like that model as well, and his command ability synergises with the Chariots. I generally like Chariots as well.

Without further ado - here is the list. I also get a reasonable discount by being able to get two start collecting boxes and using them instead of buying the Warriors, Knights and Chariots separately.

Leaders:
Bloab Rotspawned - 260
Bloodstoker - 80

Battlelines:
10x Chaos Warrior

10x Chaos Warrior - 180

10x Pink Horrors of Tzeentch - 140

Units:
5x Chaos Knights - 200

2x Gorebeast Chariot. Mark of Khorne - 200

Exalted Seeker Chariot of Slaanesh - 140

2x Burning Chariot of Tzeentch - 320

Mighty Skullcrushers of Khorne - 160

I tried to focus on doing damage in as many phases as possible to maximise Bloab's impact, and have a reasonable amount of speed. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Don't rely too much on one spell,  it can be stopped after all, and units 

But, other than  that it looks OK tbh. not much synergy but works.

2 hours ago, Arkiham said:

Btw, with your gorebeast you could make it a true khorne one by doing  this. 

uRMDQ4zh.jpg

I really like that. I might have a look at doing that myself, though im no great converter. Thanks for the tip, I figure I might be relying a little too much on Bloab, but I'm glad I'm not too far off the mark. I think I might just have a play around with two start Collecting's and see where I go from there, they seem like a solid base to start from.

I don't think there is too much wrong with your list from the perspective of having a good mix of speed, infantry and magic. Yes the fluff is a little off but then the point of AOS is to throw together whatever you like. They are all grand alliance chaos after all!

I foresee a wall of wound absorbing chariots flying towards the enemy, with infantry following up behind and chaos knights & mighty skull crushers on the flanks. Perhaps there is some more synergy to be gained out of including some different heroes/more troops of the same alignment but its a more than solid start! 

Alternately (since I was going to mark my Lord on Daemonic Mount Tzeentch anyway), I could go for a more spell heavy buff list ->

Leaders:

Bloab Rotspawned - 260

Chaos Sorceror Lord - 140
Sayl the Faithless - 160
Curseling, Lord of Tzeentch - 140

Units:

Gorebeast Chariot x 3 - 300

Burning Chariot of Tzeentch x 2 - 320

Battlelines:

Warriors of Chaos x 10 - 180 

This would really switch the focus onto an almost mono tzeentch list - all I really care about is having super killy Gorebeast Chariots led by a Lord on Daemonic Mount. This would have 18" flying Gorebeast Chariots with lots of buffs, and a lot more spellcasting. I think I do lose some tankiness, but I gain another unit of warriors as Pink Horrors are useless in such a list.

This looks more like it. I ran an almost identical list v a shaven list that unfortunately was putting out 82(!) mortal wounds a turn. (potentially).

The gore chariots did pretty well for me on turn 1, obliterating a unit of storm fiends before being vaporized by combined mortal wound shooting from weapon teams, Thanquol, WLCs and magic. Also on turn 1.

My point is that you'll never know how something is going to do until you run into the buzzsaw. I held that dude to only a minor victory, BTW. Only because of the scenario tho.

Syl is quite worth it. He's the reason the chariots work. I used the Blue Horrors, as I didn't have The Cursling at the time. That was nice, as I was getting that Traitors Mist spell off on 2s for the rest of the game. 

3 hours ago, DarkBlack said:

Why not go all Tzeentch and replace Bloab with a monster+ hero or LoC?

Yeah I was having a look at the Fatesworn Warband... The rend looks rather tasty. I don't rate the LoC too highly. Fatesworn does mean I lose the Burning Chariots as I don't think I can spare the points. I'll have to have a play around. I think whatever I do I'll get good use out of the Start Collecting Box.

I do like Bloab, so I might pick up the model just to paint. 

How's the Fatesworn Warband and the Chaos Warshrine?

Spoiler

Battalion:
Fatesworn Warband
Leaders :
Lord on Daemonic Mount - Mark of Tzeentch (General)
Sayl the Faithless (not in formation)
Chaos Sorceror Lord
Curseling, Lord of Tzeentch
Battleline:
Marauders x 9 (Kairic Acolytes)
Chaos Warriors x 18 w/ Halberds
Chaos Warriors x 10

Unit :
Gorebeast Chariot x2
Gorebeast Chariot
Chaos Knights
Chaos Warshrine

I could go for the above, take out the Burning Chariots and add Fatesworn Warband and a Warshrine and get rend on everything plus rerollable saves. I lose out on the shootiness of the Burning Chariots then.

I was also thinking of grabbing a unit of 18 Warriors with Halberds, and going for a unit of 9 Marauders with Kairic Acolytes as Proxies in that case - I'd leave the other warriors at 10 I think.

Only issue is rule of 1 kind of screws up the Arcane Bolt shenanigans... Oh well.

3 hours ago, Deathadder99 said:

How's the Fatesworn Warband and the Chaos Warshrine?

Hide contents

Battalion:
Fatesworn Warband
Leaders :
Lord on Daemonic Mount - Mark of Tzeentch (General)
Sayl the Faithless (not in formation)
Chaos Sorceror Lord
Curseling, Lord of Tzeentch
Battleline:
Marauders x 9 (Kairic Acolytes)
Chaos Warriors x 18 w/ Halberds
Chaos Warriors x 10

Unit :
Gorebeast Chariot x2
Gorebeast Chariot
Chaos Knights
Chaos Warshrine

I could go for the above, take out the Burning Chariots and add Fatesworn Warband and a Warshrine and get rend on everything plus rerollable saves. I lose out on the shootiness of the Burning Chariots then.

I was also thinking of grabbing a unit of 18 Warriors with Halberds, and going for a unit of 9 Marauders with Kairic Acolytes as Proxies in that case - I'd leave the other warriors at 10 I think.

Only issue is rule of 1 kind of screws up the Arcane Bolt shenanigans... Oh well.

You may as well drop the 10th chaos warrior as you loose 2 wounds but gain  a 16.6% save chance.

I'd take out the Curseling tbh. he's quite meh. replace him with ogriod or a gaunt summoner (on foot )  you'd do more with either.

Sayl is a bit wasted in this tbh. there's no major threat unit to deliver via the spell,

15 minutes ago, Arkiham said:

You may as well drop the 10th chaos warrior as you loose 2 wounds but gain  a 16.6% save chance.

I'd take out the Curseling tbh. he's quite meh. replace him with ogriod or a gaunt summoner (on foot )  you'd do more with either.

Sayl is a bit wasted in this tbh. there's no major threat unit to deliver via the spell,

Ok thanks for the advice, probably also good because I bought the Silver Tower already as my first foray into Chaos. I'll probably grab a start collecting box and the Lord on Daemonic mount next and hold out for new models to flesh out the rest of the army, I think I heard that there are new Tzeentch models coming next year. :) Should at least keep me busy.

Archived