Magnetizing Stormcast weaponry

Oravanystava

So, I'm considering collecting a Stormcast army. I like their theme and fluff and have some ideas as to color scheme and background story (which is fairly important to me). The only thing that is giving me pause is the super high cost-per-model ratio. Now I understand that I will need fewer models for an army than with other factions so that the total cost for an army will be the same or at least not that much higher than usual, but I still don't the idea of paying for piles of bits in extra weapon options that I will probably never use for anything.

Now I am thinking that maybe instead of gluing it all together I could attach the arms or hands or weapons using magnets. That way I could use all the bits and wouldn't have to buy extra boxes for all the options I might want to use or test out. Anybody got any experience/recommendations/tips? I've never done anything like that before and maybe the Stormcast sprues are not very conducive for that idea. It doesn't have to be fully modular, I would be more than content with switching shields for secondary weapons, or maybe switching heads to combine units of five into bigger units, something like that.

And on that topic, what about the models in the "Start Collecting" boxes and the "Age of Sigmar Starter Set"? Are these sprues identical or at least compatible with the normal boxes? Could I, for example, get the starter set and a box of Liberators and assemble them such that I could make one big unit of guys with hammers and shields that I can then switch out into two small units with differing weapons?

Thank you in advance,

The Painting Squirrel

9 hours ago, Oravanystava said:

Thank you in advance,

The Painting Squirrel

Hello.

I've not actually started this but I'm doing a similar project.

Let's start with Liberators.

As far as I can tell the weapons are attached to hands to which are glued to the arms. The hands are too small to magnatize all weapon options.

What I'm going to do is choose one weapon option, as far as either hammer or sword goes, and glue one arm and weapon down.

Then I'll magnatize two sets of left arms at the shoulder. They give you these two options. One carrying shield or the other for duel wielding.

One will have shield the other will have the duel wield weapon of choice.

I'd imagine the two special weapons,  the grand sword and hammer, should be easy enough as well. Again at the shoulder.

The only down side to my plan is not enough shoulder pads....

You can pick up a set on Ebay for pretty cheap though.

Hope this helps.

Oh, also about the sets... the starter set is mono pose minis and not compatible with the separate box units.

The start collecting box is a unit of normal liberators, normal prosecutors, a mono pose castellant and a couple mono pose paladins. I'm pretty sure.

Archived