Grot Gitmob list help

jeffadow

So, as a primer, a few recent posts here inspired me, so I went and bought 50 wolf riders. I'm convinced it'll be an enjoyable modeling project worst case, but with a little looking in I think it could play fairly decently as well.

Leaders
Gitmob Grot Shaman* (80)
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection
Gitmob Grot Shaman (80)
Goblin Warboss* (60)
- General
- Git Cutta & Git Shield
- Trait: Bellowing Tyrant
- Artefact: Talisman of Protection
Goblin Warboss (60)
- Git Cutta & Git Shield
Goblin Warboss (60)
- Git Cutta & Git Shield
Goblin Warboss (60)
- Git Cutta & Git Shield

Units
Gitmob Grots x 20* (100)
Gitmob Grots x 20* (100)
Gitmob Grots x 20* (100)
Grot Wolf Chariots x 1 (40)
Grot Wolf Riders x 30* (600)
Grot Wolf Riders x 5 (100)
Nasty Skulkers x 3* (40)

Behemoths

War Machines
Grot Rock Lobber (100)
Grot Rock Lobber (100)

Batallions
Great GitMob* (100)

Total: 1980/2000

*units in the Great Gitmob Formation

notes: all grots are armed with bows, all chracters are mounted on wolves.

The main damage dealer here is the unit of 30 wolfriders, ideally, with Sneaky Stabbin' and Mystic Shield cast on them, and attacking a unit of 15 or fewer models they're 2 wound, 12" move (and rampaging destroyers), 3+ save(mystic shield and raidin' shields), with 2 shot bows hitting on 3+, wounding on 3+ and at rend -1. Outside of that I'm maxed on super mobile characters and several other wolfrider units to claim objectives like crazy. I'm still largely in the planning and modeling phase, with a lot of work to go before I make it to table, but that just makes now the perfect time to tinker with the list. The great gitmob Grot requirements conveniently open me up to all the units destruction has to offer, so if anyone has thoughts on improvements from anywhere in the destruction arsenal I;d love to hear 'em!

Thanks for reading through my stream of consciousness, I'd love to hear any thoughts, comments, concerns, suggestions, etc.

Another thought I just had- swapping the rock lobbers and one shaman out gives me points to put a shaman on arachnarok in, and one or two of the minimum wolf units could be swapped for spider riders so he has something to cast the signature spell on, and to have strong terrain penetration. But not sure if I'd be a little light on damage output at that point? It feels like the rock lobbers hidden behind terrain could do a lot in the course of a game. Has anyone had much experience with the grot artillery/arachnarok damage output?

The Arachnorok is seriously undercosted as it's a titan in melee with Battlebrew.

Pew pew is the main threat to your army. If your opponent is smart they will nail your general and shamen first turn, then pile shots into the big Wolves.

I to am building a grot list, well mainly grots anyhow. I think your list is very fun sounding and could be themed well. I have 15 wolves and they are a power house most people don't realize until it's to late. Fully buffed you can get them to have 5 attacks with -1 rend (including mounts) per model. ouch. Granted that's fully buffed and you've got a 50% to get the spell off, so not the most reliable. 

My .02$

if you are running this to be competitive I'd condense some of the wolfs to units of 10, your units of 5 are just 2 wounds away from loosing the shield benefit. Also, I think your underutilizing the grots themselves by keeping them in ranks of 20. If you have a unit of 40-60 with inspiring presence kept on them your looking at a unit that can hold an objective for several turns unless heavily focused, in which case your 300 pts. Unit just spoiled the opponents plan to take out key units or heroes. #win 

I have in my list some beast claw, arachnarok, mangler options. This means the opponent, assuming has some range must decide. Do I take out the super Killy monsters that are really scary, do I focus on the heroes and hope the super scary and Killy monsters don't eat my units up, or do I focus on the horde of crazed goblins that will actually take out even the strongest units if fully buffed. (Hard choices)

The biggest thing to understand is battle shock. It doesn't just hurt, it's should crushing. Rarely will you opt for any other command ability, and thus the importance of having big scary things to make your opponent choose to attack. 

#trick. I send out my war boss with battle brew, hide him in cover and with his large movement snipe small heroes. Not as easy as it sounds, here's why. Your boss kills any hero or monster your battalion is then immune to battle shock, regardless of him being alive. "I.e. For the rest of the game" so turn two comes I try to find a hero or monster with a few wounds left to go after and kill. Again, not as easy as it sounds but it does take care of the soul crushing battle shock.. 

Alright, that's a strong point- target priority is too easy for the opponent here, changing to something like

heroes:

2x gitmob grot shaman on wolf

3x warboss on wolf

1x shaman on arachnarok

then mobbing up the Wolves to 2x 10/trading one out for 10x spider riders. Ideally I'll also find some points somewhere to beef up the standard grot units numbers.

The extra gitmob shaman gives me a bit higher chance of surviving early shooting to be able to buff the large wolf unit, while making the other mounted units a bit more punchy, and having a second large threat to worry about in the arachnarok.

I wish the tax for the gitmob wasn't so high, but the benefit feels strong enough to be worth it regardless. 

How do you deal with other horde armies? i.e. Kunnin Rukk arrowboy spam. Is there an easy solution within the destruction grand alliance?

Umm well I've not had the fortune yet to go against the Kunnin Ruk yet. But (almost) all horde armies are essentially held up by a few weak hero models. The Kunnin Ruk is no different. They lose a lot of power once they lose their ability to shoot twice in a turn and their + hit spell is gone.  Others are welcome to correct me if I'm wrong. If they are built solely as a gun line take out the heroes. This is just my theory.

To your point early on about rock lobbas, I ran 3 doom divers at adepticon last year and loved it. Had mixed results, but they are hilarious to play with. goblins divin head first into techlis #win, They had a good kill tally at that tournament sniping heroes. It's all about what ya like to bring to the game, I'm not a huge fan of artillery, So my army this year will maybe have 2 doom divers but I could sub them out for the mangler if I needed more ground threats. 

Youll never be able to counter everything, but smart game play and priority management can turn a game around from a sure loss to a draw or even victory. #gobbopride

So, what I think I would do in this situation is drop at least two of the extraneous wolf rider units and at least two of the goblin warbosses (these guys aren't going to do much damage - it'd be better to run with three shaman, where an arcane bolt per turn will likely cause more damage than a warboss).

With great gitmob, you want to take advantage of everything - so consider pumping more infantry grots into those units. In this situation, you need to embrace the battleline tax instead of essentially wasting it on units of 20. 40 is amazing if they're armed with bows. 

And maybe a few more skulkers as hero assassins. They'd be mortal wounding on 5s and 6s as part of the great gitmob. Worth looking into.

Archived