Converting a Stardrake Question

Rodiger

Hi, I am considering trying to make the two headed Tzeentch Dragon Galrauch out of the Stormcast Stardrake. I have never seen the model in real life or built one so I don't know how well it would lend itself to having another head and neck crafted on to the body. So to anyone who has built a Stardrake how possible would this be if I got another neck? The box appears to have 2 heads, are they separate heads or one head with 2 different styles? 

Thanks

1 hour ago, Nico said:

I'm intrigued. I've got to ask why? It does have a decent spell, but probably overcosted.

I just like dragons really, and there is a serious lack of them in the chaos army. I'm running a Tzeentch army so I thought it would fit quite well. I also think it would be an interesting hobby project to do, I love the model and I think it would look pretty cool with two heads. I had been thinking about just getting a Stardrake and putting a chaos lord on top until I stumbled over Galrauch, it's got the hobby side of me excited. I'm only playing friendly games so I don't have to worry too much about being strict with the rules. 

12 minutes ago, HobbyHammer said:

I think there should be enough room for two heads to come out. Don't think you are going to know until you try it. Please post pics of Work in Progress as this sounds awesome! 

I will do if he gets off the ground, it's quite an expensive project to start especially if I mess it up. I need to be sure it's feasible before I take the plunge.  

1 minute ago, Rodiger said:

I just like dragons really, and there is a serious lack of them in the chaos army. I'm running a Tzeentch army so I thought it would fit quite well. I also think it would be an interesting hobby project to do, I love the model and I think it would look pretty cool with two heads. I had been thinking about just getting a Stardrake and putting a chaos lord on top until I stumbled over Galrauch, it's got the hobby side of me excited. I'm only playing friendly games so I don't have to worry too much about being strict with the rules. 

I will do if he gets off the ground, it's quite an expensive project to start especially if I mess it up. I need to be sure it's feasible before I take the plunge.  

If it messes up just remove the head and paint up a Stardrake. Start a Stormcast army! 

The star drake is a really nice model to put together stock but may be a little difficult conversion wise. I think you would need to have good green stuff skills. There are 2 heads but only one neck from what I remember and the wings are fairly locked in position.also the armour plates hide holes in the dragons underside so this would need to be addressed. Having said that, this is a great idea, I would get down to gw and ask to see the sprues-it is not a sealed box. I think you need to see it before committing, or you could always order it, check it out and return of it's no good. There is always the high elf dragon, dark elf one and hydra aswell as the warpfire and carmine from forgeworld to consider and if you are happy with third party ones i am sure there are even more suited ones.

5 hours ago, Booah said:

The star drake is a really nice model to put together stock but may be a little difficult conversion wise. I think you would need to have good green stuff skills. There are 2 heads but only one neck from what I remember and the wings are fairly locked in position.also the armour plates hide holes in the dragons underside so this would need to be addressed. Having said that, this is a great idea, I would get down to gw and ask to see the sprues-it is not a sealed box. I think you need to see it before committing, or you could always order it, check it out and return of it's no good. There is always the high elf dragon, dark elf one and hydra aswell as the warpfire and carmine from forgeworld to consider and if you are happy with third party ones i am sure there are even more suited ones.

Thanks for the detailed reply, unfortunately I don't live near a GW so that's not an option. I've been studying the 3D image on the website, the neck twists to the dragons left, if I get another of the same neck they are both going to be twisting the same way which I imagine will firstly look strange and secondly may be a problem space wise. The heads may end up too close to each other. It looks like the front armour plate and the two on top of the front legs are not built in to the model so this would leave an opening that the second neck could be attached. The only location would be where the neck starts at the top of the front legs as this is where it starts twisting to the left leaving an opening. The Stardrake looks bigger than the other dragons and the Hydra so sticking one of these necks onto the body may look strange and out of scale (all the models since aos launched look like a scale increase to me) is it bigger? or is this an idea that might work? It will require good green stuff skills so mine will have to improve sharpish and I will have to find some sort of dragon scale tool.

From looking at it, I'm not sure if this is feasible, I might buy the Stardrake anyway then asses it, if it looks possible buy another neck, if not use it as is, I do have the Stormcast starter models. Or it could just stand in for Galrauch or be converted with a Chaos Lord on top, a much easier conversion.     

If I do this start this project I will start a wip blog on it for those interested. 

Archived