2000 points Beastclaw Raiders list

ogmaadn

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, gnaleinad said:

Indeed!! It WAS A MISREAD!!!!
Oh Lord Grunnlock!! Thanks!!! And there I was so worried about a rematch.. Now I am not so scare. But it's still bloody good you know?

hehe no worries! I'm sure you'll do well in the rematch. Make sure to keep us updated ;)

@grunnlock Good job on the win at Blood & Glory!!!

Did you went with
1990pts

• 1 Frostlord on Stonehorn 460pt 
  • 1 Huskard on Thundertusk 340pt 
  • 2 Thundertusk 640pt
  • 3 x 20 Moonclan Grots 360pt
  • 1 Moonclan Grot Shaman 60pt
  • 1 Moonclan Grot Fanatic 30pt

Or 

2000pts

• 2 Thundertusk 640pt
  • 2 x 20 Moonclan Grots 240pt
  • 1 x 20 Gitmob Grots 100

5 minutes ago, gnaleinad said:

@grunnlock Good job on the win at Blood & Glory!!!

Did you went with
1990pts

• 2 Thundertusk 640pt
  • 3 x 20 Moonclan Grots 360pt

Or 

2000pts

• 2 Thundertusk 640pt
  • 2 x 20 Moonclan Grots 240pt
  • 1 x 20 Gitmob Grots 100

Thank you!

None of those. I had:

• Frostlord on Stonehorn - 460

-> Battle brew

• Huskard on Thundertusk - 340

-> General - Ravager

• Moonclan Shaman - 60
  • 20 Moonclan grots - 120
  • Fanatic grot - 30
  • Fanatic grot - 30
  • Fanatic grot - 30

= 1990 points

@grunnlock I was rooting for you, YEAH!! I am an Orc and Goblin general since 1997!! First time WAAAGH! did so well!!!

If you were to relist, what would you have done differently?
Do you think if your Stonehorn went after the Cannons things will be different?
Do you think having the Stonehorn as General would be better?
I was thinking about it.
What do you think if the 3 Huskards was always deployed together with the Frostlord.. And maybe having your Frostlord as General with Ravager??

At the 12" mark, the 3 Huskard blast can potentially reach 41"~46". Frostlord is very random, but the threat is very high and even if you don't make the charge it will survive most things. 

But your deployment is a big problem. 11 units, you almost always go last. Even consider dropping one Thundertusk and getting the Great Moonclan Battalion??

I use the Great Gitmobs, there are weakness, but the combat ability is very high. 

I've been thinking about the list for a while now, I think this version is the most powerful one. The huskards can heal each other and the stonehorn, the grots are still very viable to take objectives as they move fast (5" move, +2" on their run moves and if within 6" of the general they move an extra d6+2") and with the fanatics they can save your game (they did twice during my 2 games streamed live).

Gaming wise, against Terry I should probably have put all the big monsters together on the far right. As he played Kairos and was allowed to change the priority roll, I was scared he would insure himself a double turn and kill all thundertusks. However, I should have probably tried to put the thundertusks just behind the line of grots to potentially kill 3 stormfiends turn one and make them do a battle shock that they could fail on a 4, 5 or 6. The stonehorn would have been on the far right too, at the 12" mark next to the grots, so he could do a long bomb charge and reach the stormfiends behind the plaguebearers with his 2" attack (the horns).

However, I wanted to play secure as if something went wrong (thundertusks rolling 1 on their 6 mortal wounds shooting attack) Terry would have tabled me in 2 turns.

The army is 8 drops, the fanatics deploy at the same time than the grots. A lot of the "top players" were not playing any formation, so I finished deploying first in most of my games.

Regarding the formations, the gitmob seems good but I'm not convinced it's worth it.

Another list I came up with is:

Leaders

Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)

- General

- Command Trait: Ravager

- Artefact: Battle Brew

Frostlord on Stonehorn (460)

- Artefact: Battle Brew

Huskard on Thundertusk (340)

Moonclan Grot Shaman (60)

Grot Warboss (80)

Units

Moonclan Grots x 20 (120)

Grot Fanatics x 1 (30)

Grot Fanatics x 1 (30)

Grot Squig Hoppers x 5 (80)

Batallions

Great MoonClan (80)

Total: 2000/2000

I've never tested it, but it sounds viable (still less viable than the one with 3 thundertusks though).

@grunnlock
Dude. Dude. Are you serious??? I think there is something wrong with your deployment. Each Fanatic unit need to be deployed, you do not have to declare where it is hidden, but a unit still needs deployment! 

Your fanatics is 3 deployment. I am 100% positive about it. It is just like the StormCast off table deployment. When StormCast use a special deployment battalion, they can choose to deploy one shot in the heavenly Realm or some on the table and some in heavenly realm, BECAUSE it is a battalion..

Your Moonclan with Fanatics wasn't a battalion. It is two units. Each uses a deployment slot. 

53 minutes ago, grunnlock said:

The army is 8 drops, the fanatics deploy at the same time than the grots. A lot of the "top players" were not playing any formation, so I finished deploying first in most of my games.

The rule I posted is very clear. Each player take turns to set up a unit.
But what you did is like setting up 2 unit in 1 deployment. 

1 hour ago, gnaleinad said:

The rule I posted is very clear. Each player take turns to set up a unit.
But what you did is like setting up 2 unit in 1 deployment. 

Doesn't the rule you mentioned state, "instead of setting this unit up normally" which means you ignore the normal rules for setting up. 

No you don't ignore the setting up rules. The Fanatic ability just say that you can set it up as a hidden unit.
Hidden units and units deployed off table also take up deployment slots. 
Their ability just tell you where is that special place to set them up.
That unit still got to be setup during deployment.
Plays take turn setting up units ONE at a time.
A unit of Fanatics still needs to be set up right? 

What he did is wrong. He has 11 units so it's 11 setups during deployment, yet he only did 8 setups and skipped 3 units.
This is something major, it can make or break games. It decides who goes first.

Untitled2.jpg

Untitled.jpg

What he did is wrong. He has 11 units so it's 11 setups during deployment, yet he only did 8 setups and skipped 3 units.

Firstly it's not clear. Look at the rule purposively rather than literally. What is the most important thing about that rule - that you're opponent doesn't know which unit they are hidden in? Your suggestion will severely compromise that.

Secondly, I had all the Gitmob including the Skulkers in a Battalion, so the issue is irrelevant to my list anyway. I dropped the Battalion (or most of it) as a single drop anyway. My army was 3 drops except when i held back two units from the Battalion to deploy later.

It could be clearer - but it does seem very odd for you to deploy a unit into another unit that's already on the board.

Archived