Freeguild guard weapon options

Lysandestolpe

Neither, give them swords and shields. 

If you had to go with either spears of halberds, i would take the halberds. I'm not expecting my guard to kill anything, it's not the role they play but the -1 rend will help when the get into combat. Just be careful on how you deploy and move them around. You don't want to lose attacks by just keeping them in a block. 

^^^ That

Giving them sword and board makes them ridiculous anvil units. Plus they'll pretty much never lose anything to battleshock in most Freeguild lists, these guys just stick around all day long.

Definitely never the Spears. The Halberds are my second choice. The spears go down in power exponentially when you lose models. With a 5+ save they'll just die so fast that you'll never see much benefit from the 2" range.

But I've really been loving the swords. They are definitely my go-to battleline. The hold objectives like champs and they're dirt cheap.

If you want offense, just min/max with swords and take a big unit of something stronger.

18 minutes ago, Double Misfire said:

How about a dedicated melee unit that gets an extra 0.5 attacks per turn? ;) 

(more attacks when you account for the guys that can't make it within 1")

They might not even get a chance to attack with there low save and poor bravery. They can easily be taken off.  

I also wouldn't be building my statetroops for damage output as i think you would be playing them wrong. They are chaff that are designed to have people run into them and get stuck of a turn or two. If you take away the re-rolling 1's and plus 1 to save then you lose there biggest strength.  

Archived