Darkoath Preperation

SunStorm

• Subscriber

With the new Darkoath releases previewed now, I'm going to jump on the bandwagon. I wanted to get some stuff ahead of time to practice paintjobs and get started. However all the previous Darkoath things seem to be unavailable. 

Darkoath Savagers - Out of stock

Gnarlspirit Pack - Unavailable

Godsworn Hunt - Unavailable

Darkoath Warqueen - Out of stock

Darkoath Chieftain - Out of stock

Luckily I did manage to pick up Tolgar Split-Eye last year, so I have him to start with. 

I was wondering if there are any other current Chaos / Slaves to Darkness units that will fit the Darkoath Theme / potential rules?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I wondering about this for my own Darkoath themed army too!

Aesthetic wise I was thinking something along the lines of:

Ogroid Myrmidon

Ogroids

Fomoroid

Mindstealer Sphrinx

Furies and Raptoryx

maybe with the addition of:

Bloodreavers from BoK - those that fall to Khorne and blood lust, the models are mostly shirtless barbarian looking with some fur that comes over their boots

Untamed beasts - those that fall to a beastial nature

Beasts of Chaos - Undivided and more on the wild side, I think they could be some good allies

And with a little conversion work:

Centaurian Marshall - maybe some more furs and a different head?

Chariots - Replace the Chariot Riders. Add some furs and cover some of the armour plates on the Gorebeasts and the chariot itself?

Warshrine - a little bit of un-chaosing the shrine and the rider or sticking the shrine on a mammoth would be a fun call back

Sorcerers on foot or on Manticore - Maybe switching out the rider for something else and they're good to go and the same for on foot

I'm thinking for most units I've listed, it's minimal work or mostly down to paintjob for them to fit in well with the Darkoath aethetically and also still be Undivided units or a bit more bestial looking 😄

Edited by TrawlingCleaner
  • Like 1

• Subscriber

In the meantime I've been able to track down a copy of the Gnarlspirit pack and the Darkoath Savagers came back in stock, so I've gone with those. 

@TrawlingCleaner, you make a good call on some of the monsters to go along with them. I've kind of wanted an excuse to get a Mindstealer Sphrinx, so this is perfect. Plus Furies and Raptoryx to represent some wildlife going along with them. 

Perhaps too optimistically, I checked ebay for a Chaos Mammoth, as I was thinking one of those with Darkoath for the crew would be cool. Just not at those prices...

• Like 1