Painting Griffons

ZephyrExia

Hey all, I'm about to start paining the Island of blood Griffon. I just need some advice on how to paint a blue-black fur tone, similar to that of a panther. Also, how should I paint the beak/bird claws?

Any help would be very much appreciated (I prefer GW paints).

Thank you for your perusal and advice!

I paintedmine in muted grey and browns. The best advice I can give you is teloor at pictures of real panthers and eagles. The model is a great sculpt with lots of clean lines to highlight. Take your time with the feathers and maybe do some spots/stripes on his back. 

There is quite a good guide on different ways to paint black in this months white dwarf (using space marines) but I think you can apply the same principles. You could try a black base and layer up with blue tinged greys e.g. Dark reaper then thunderhawk, even fenrisian grey as an extreme highlight. Or maybe use dark reaper as a base and wash with nuln oil although this may be too blue for what you want. As for the beak and claws, a yellow or orange may be too much, I did aver land, seraphimn sepia, yriel. I would probably go with something that complements the main colour and gloss/ard coat it. The citadel painting system guide is always a good reference point which you can download off gw site. Just choose an appropriate base, wash it and pick out one or two layers of highlights.

Make sure you post a picture when you have completed it.

Archived