Gaming Board Warcry Help Needed

Gitzdee

I want to try and build my own Warcry board. But i dont know where to start at all. I gathered some packiging materials like foam and cardboard, gathered some wooden coffeesticks to have something to start out with. But i dont actually know where to go from here. Most youtube people use all these expensive things and that is not what i am aiming for here. Anyone got any tips or tricks they want to share?

Edited by Gitzdee

• Gitzdee changed the title to Gaming Board Warcry Help Needed
43 minutes ago, Vasshpit said:

@Gitzdee A few questions to get the focus going may help. 

Are you thinking modular or fixed design?

What is the landscape you're wanting?

Will it have buildings or all wilds?

I was thinking about a fixed board with rocks/ buildings/ trees that i can change around. I dont like the board to be just a flat surface. But i think a Warcry board is a bit to small for anything big like hills or mountains. 

image.png.7f420111c4ac78a6f7db4efd92136352.png

image.png.b979e0388a81b530d5bf257cec0a6762.png

• Like 1

That second pic is impressive! I'd open the buildings up but overall damn nice. 

I'd say find one you like, copy it and tweak to your liking. 

Keep it simple and start with step one, the ground. You stated not flat so go from there. 

What kind of foam do you have? 

This is what i got for the base but i dont actually know how to use this. I have tried making rocks once by covering it with wall filler. Its not ideal but i guess it got the job done before. Any ideas what else could get the job done better? The problem is all the little holes/texture in the foam. I hope it wont be less of a problem here because i still need to cover it with dirt/grass later on.

image.png.14625a04f3c5166ae3e1f45bde0b89d7.png

image.png.6cf4ac4fd306f2d5ae8afddfa5d13bd9.png

Edited by Gitzdee

2 hours ago, Gitzdee said:

This is what i got for the base but i dont actually know how to use this. I have tried making rocks once by covering it with wall filler. Its not ideal but i guess it got the job done before. Any ideas what else could get the job done better? The problem is all the little holes/texture in the foam. I hope it wont be less of a problem here because i still need to cover it with dirt/grass later on.

I usually cover foam with a mix of wood glue and cheap paint. Mix in some rubble/grit to give it some texture.

Wooden sticks are usefull for building ladders, barricades, bridges.

Aluminium foil can be used to create the texture of a tree trunk (wrapped around a toilet roll or something for example). I've also used it create a river bank. It's cheap, easy to shape and after you cover it with wood glue, it will hold the shape well.

Egg cartons usually have 1 side which has a texture similar to brick. For example I've used this to cut brick shapes from and glued it to a plastic cilinder to create a tower.

This Youtuber uses a lot of cardboard, so might give you some inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/@BardsCraft

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just need to lay it out on a board, glue it down and start shaping your base foundation. 

@Dracovski has some great points. 

I'd suggest an initial layer or two of just glue over foam for a solid working foundation then start with texture. 

Just need to pick a landscape type; rocky steppes, dessert, jungle, etc so you have a good design flow and focus to follow. 

Again as it's your first I'd find an image of one you like and just copy it's layout then just tweak to your preference and materials available. Like you could use the layout of that 2nd and use your coffeesticks and cardboard to make some burned out or ruined structures. 

One last thing is be patient. This isn't an overnight project so don't rush the important steps like preparing the foam for a good base so your project has a solid foundation. 

One more last thing, heh, if you go through with it...

POST THEM W.I.P. PICS, forum friend!!! 🤘

Edited by Vasshpit
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Vasshpit said:

One last thing is be patient. This isn't an overnight project so don't rush the important steps like preparing the foam for a good base so your project has a solid foundation. 

One more last thing, heh, if you go through with it...

POST THEM W.I.P. PICS, forum friend!!! 🤘

This is a longterm project that needs some gathering of materials and planning and i am in no rush to finish this. I will post progress pictures for sure! (And probably more questions)

Edited by Gitzdee

On 2/27/2024 at 10:16 AM, Gitzdee said:

I want to try and build my own Warcry board. But i dont know where to start at all. I gathered some packiging materials like foam and cardboard, gathered some wooden coffeesticks to have something to start out with. But i dont actually know where to go from here. Most youtube people use all these expensive things and that is not what i am aiming for here. Anyone got any tips or tricks they want to share?

I am not a scenery master, but as I am working through my Heldenstone project I've checked various big channels like Zorpazorp and got some bits of info.

The foam you have is decent, but there's a better one that is quite cheap: Panel de poliestireno aislante Danopren tejado 40 mm 1.25x0.6 m | Leroy Merlin It is in Spanish, but I think it would give you an idea.

About what to build, I would answer the following questions.

- It is closed to X modules or do you plan to have extra ones to change them and expand the board/ have more diversity?
- Do you want it purely for AoS or do you prefer it to go for something less game-specific?

If yes:

- In which realm would you place it?
- Would it be based on a specific faction?
- Do you want it to have different heights?
- Which kind of setting? A city? A field? A river?
- One-sided or two-sided?

That's all from the top of my head. It would help you get a better idea/ planning.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 7:22 AM, Gitzdee said:

image.png.14625a04f3c5166ae3e1f45bde0b89d7.png

image.png.6cf4ac4fd306f2d5ae8afddfa5d13bd9.png

Most people fill it with filler for walls, like: Plaste en pasta para rellenar AXTON 1,5 kg | Leroy Merlin

Or even they create their own with paper and cardboard pulp. I've been searching for that specifically not so long ago and ended up putting in my purchase list that specific one I posted.

Some examples of videos I checked: 

I was looking specifically for that 'sculptamold' but seems to be a UK thing that is not sold here, so I ended up picking the wall filler route after seeing some other videos in Spanish.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2024 at 10:22 AM, Dracovski said:

I usually cover foam with a mix of wood glue and cheap paint. Mix in some rubble/grit to give it some texture.

Wooden sticks are usefull for building ladders, barricades, bridges.

Aluminium foil can be used to create the texture of a tree trunk (wrapped around a toilet roll or something for example). I've also used it create a river bank. It's cheap, easy to shape and after you cover it with wood glue, it will hold the shape well.

Egg cartons usually have 1 side which has a texture similar to brick. For example I've used this to cut brick shapes from and glued it to a plastic cilinder to create a tower.

This Youtuber uses a lot of cardboard, so might give you some inspiration: https://www.youtube.com/@BardsCraft

This one is also an interesting one. It works mainly with foam: RP Archive - YouTube

It is true that lately he moved into more sophisticated tools, but still, it is a good reference.

• Like 1