Duardin - 1k list (help needed, please)

Finraer

Hi - please could you help with a list building question?

My current project is a metal 80s/90s Duardin army based on miniatures retrieved from the loft at my mum's house. Ultimately, I'm going to have a little over 2k points to choose from and have made a start. 

I don't get to play a lot but when I do it's at my local GW at around 1k points (I prefer scenario play but these days matched play seems to be the norm at the store). 

I've made a good start but would really like to get the first 1k painted first. I don't want to play them until they're painted. 

I've (hopefully!) attached two lists - those painted and the whole collection. 

Any advice on what should be next to round out the first list?  I'd appreciate any guidance at all as they're going to play very differently from the Tzeentch and Warherd I've played with so far. 

Many thanks in advance. 

Paul

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You have a great start here. Ungrim is still a badass in AoS, maybe more so now. Plus as an adamant dwarf collector I approve of any and all '80s-'90s models and this sounds awesome. Legacy war machines are good. Have me that old flame cannon I use as it's the best :) Gyrocopters are not nearly as utilitarian in AoS imo but flying to claim objectives not requiring 5+ models is handy. Longbeards have ok buffs and hammerers two attacks is also nice. Seems like you have a rounded list. Perhaps later consider some larger units. Normally I'd say skip unforged if you aren't mesmerized by cool-as-****** old slayer models but with Ungrim him and slayers are pretty sweet in higher numbers of surgical pile-in strikes at key angles/targets (say between terrain or whatever).

So, more slayers, more longbeards and make warriors larger unless you need many small units guarding objectives. Organ guns are nice. An engineer. Consider a second gryocopter or bomber. (Next game with duardin applying all 6 copters and 2 bombers cuz...why not? xD)

Wish you luck and many excellent victories to record! :) 

The first list needs another battleline unit to be legal. Possibly warriors to keep points for other things. Gyrocopters have been useless for me unless you get a flank without getting it into close combat! Maybe add belegar ironhammer and be able to select a unit and get additional attack against it. An engineer would great with a cannon or organ gun or grudge thrower. Food for thought mate. I'm no pro!! ?

I think the dwarfs strong point is their shooting. Bugman is a great addition to a dwarf army. Are you looking to make a competitive list? what is your over all aim? also as Forkhandles89 indicated the first list needs 2 battle line units.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The aim for the first 1k is casual play and not tournaments - although, that said I would rather it was ok. :)

I know the first list needs another battle line - sounds like some dwarf warriors would be called for. I can add the cannon easily enough but don't own an engineer and the current model wouldn't fit the aesthetic of the old metal models. Might see what I can convert. 

Next up are 10 warriors it seems. :)

Are quarrelers any good? The war scroll is a bit underwhelming but perhaps I am missing something?

Some painted pics of the army to date attached (although if you follow me on Twitter, you'll have seen these before, sorry.) 

Cheers

Paul

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

quarrelers are great in 20+ model count. They get to double tap have a 20" range and are not to shabby in close combat as most normal ranged units are not that great in close combat.

I will say though it aint easy making a dwarf competitive list.

19 minutes ago, Bimli said:

quarrelers are great in 20+ model count. They get to double tap have a 20" range and are not to shabby in close combat as most normal ranged units are not that great in close combat.

I will say though it aint easy making a dwarf competitive list.

They've done okay for me. Some objectives are quite hard. Especially scenario's where you get points for every turn you hold onto an objective. Mainly because my opponent gets there first. 

Archived