mono nurgle

Druchiilord94

Depends what you'd like to run it as. If you mean just Rotbringers and slaves of darkness then @Arkiham has a good list. If you go outside of that then the Nurgle demons, pestilens and Tamurkhan's Horde have some nice toys.

I like plague bearers as battleline since you get bodies for cheap and they can hold objectives fairly well.

The characters Epidemius and Festus are hard to ignore for their buff & debuff.

The plague claw gives you decent ranged threat, especially against hordes of mans.

I'm working out myself if I prefer big units of Warriors, Blight Kings or Bile trolls work better with my play style. Either way I tend to take between 600 and 1000 points of them in different combinations to round out the rest of my army.

The one thing I haven't really had a chance to experiment with are the Drones. I don't like them on paper but that probably means they're great.

What do you do about the apparent lack of ranged and rend damage if you go mono Nurgle?

I am playing mono Nurgle Daemons, and it's only the Drones that can shoot, which is negligible, and there isn't a whole lot of -rend anywhere. Right now I'm banking on the Great Unclean One and Nurgle Daemon Prince for some -rend. And that's not to even start looking for something to deal mortal wounds instead of -rend.

Makes me sort of look at Skaven Jezzails or Lightning Cannons, but they just don't fit the Nurgle theme :-)

18 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

What do you do about the apparent lack of ranged and rend damage if you go mono Nurgle?

Bile trolls have high rend in the vomit attacks. They can do it at range or in combat, and if they get a 6 to hit they get to do another. So far they, coupled with the plagueclaw for hordes have been how I deal with tougher high armor units.

I think the biggest weakness is actually the movement of all the Nurgle stuff. Drones moving at twice the speed of Blight Kings and Plague Bearers might help for capturing objectives and speed humping choppy characters.

15 minutes ago, james.speller said:

Bile trolls have high rend in the vomit attacks. They can do it at range or in combat, and if they get a 6 to hit they get to do another. So far they, coupled with the plagueclaw for hordes have been how I deal with tougher high armor units.

I think the biggest weakness is actually the movement of all the Nurgle stuff. Drones moving at twice the speed of Blight Kings and Plague Bearers might help for capturing objectives and speed humping choppy characters.

I have seen the Bile Trolls mentioned before, but I haven't really taken a serious look at them yet - Do you run them in groups of 3 or 6? And do you think they need to be buffed or can they operate on their own? How do they hold up when compared to the Blightkings?

About the Drones, then I have been pleased with them in the couple of games I've played with them. So I plan to run a group of 6, plus a Nurgle Daemon prince that can keep up with them and trigger their locus. Bonus points for having high wounds that can regen via the Tallyband Battallion. :-)

5 minutes ago, Spiky Norman said:

I have seen the Bile Trolls mentioned before, but I haven't really taken a serious look at them yet - Do you run them in groups of 3 or 6? And do you think they need to be buffed or can they operate on their own? How do they hold up when compared to the Blightkings?

This is my 2k list; I haven't tried any of the battalions so it's just mans.

Leaders
Epidemius (180)
Bloab Rotspawned (260)
Gutrot Spume (120) / Festus the Leechlord (120)

Units
Plaguebearers Of Nurgle x 30 (300) - I split these into 3x10
Putrid Blightkings x 10 (360) - I split these into 2x5
Bile Trolls x 9 (600) - I split these into 3x3

War Machines
Plagueclaw (180)

Total: 2000/2000

I am planning on having a few games at this points value to see if gutrot or festus fit better, I'm betting it's going to be Festus for his spell. Trolls need to be near heroes or they have problems, but both the trolls and the blight kings are powerful enough with Epidemius on the board that they just don't need any other buffs.

I have a "core block" as I want to run mainly Nurgle Daemons and the Tallyband Battallion:

160 Daemon Prince (Leader, Behemoth)
240 Great Unclean One (Leader, Behemoth)
100 Herald of Nurgle (Leader)
 60 Beast of Nurgle
440 6xPlague Drones of Nurgle
100 10xPlaguebearers of Nurgle (Battleline)
100 Warscroll Battalion - Tallyband of Nurgle

1400pts

So running 6 Bile Trolls along with the Chaos Sorcerer Lord for the buff, plus some ranged damage like a Plagueclaw for instance, is really stretching it, unfortunately. If I could do without ranged damage, I could do it. I am concerned that Nurgle is too slow moving to do without ranged damage, but what do you think?

Archived