The 'Skaven redesign' discussion

CDM

Having a stab shank at Skaven today. Looking at what models in my opinion need moving faction, replacing, moving to TOW etc. Give it the proper dream AoS range refresh. I did toy with whether pestilens should be moved to maggotkin but they're such an intrinsic part I think they should also have some units in maggotkin as well but will get to that later. 

The four great clans work so well in AoS but I think we need a huge release to do them justice. Looking at the range there's so much variety there they dont need too much new stuff but so much resin and metal and some just odd looking models!

Skyre 

New model = Arch warlock ( love this model but needs plastic) Warlock engineers ( multi part kit that could represent more than one warscroll, warlock ?? Warlock ?? Etc) doomflayer (new plastic kit) acolytes ( I love these, I remember the first time I saw a poison wind globadier? In a gw store I remember thinking what the hell is that! Love it!) Plastic weapons team (easy one kit to cover all the 2 man teams including jezzails and the long gone mortar!)

Keep = warlock bombadier (looks great and new) warp lightning cannon (great kit) doomwheel (looks good,plastic) stormfiends (great models)

Keep 4 kits retire 8 new 5. Thimk the range is excellent other than a couple new warlock types Skyre have all bases covered!

Moulder

New model = master moulder (new leader needed and also needs a giant mount like the brood horror, foot and mounted options) giant rats (with pack master) rat ogors ( new sculpts would look great)  wolf rat cavalry ( lancers on fw style wolf rats) new character (maybe with rat ogor body guards)

Keep = hell pit abomination (still works, cool idea) 

Scrap = packmaster,ogors,giant rats (I like the thought of a mixed unit but time to go)

Keep 1 kit retire 2 new 5 . Probably more design space here then I can think of. I like the thought of packmasters moving around with mixes of giant rats, ogors and rat swarms. Maybe an abomination shaped like a catapult!? Inflated ogor balloons dropping giant balls of something disgusting! I don't know! But I'm sure there's some good ideas out there.

Eshin

New =gutter runners and night runners(eww new plastic kits needed! The aesthetic of the claw pack but not sure how to differentiate the two? Maybe gutter runners are like the claw pack in appearance and the nightrunners the more toned down version)

Keep = deathmaster (brand new) skittershanks claw pack ( new, Warcry and underworlds to stay, they are a great way of adding to factions) 

Keep 2 replace 2. The latest Eshin models have been superb but there's not to much too them as a faction. Maybe a bodyguard unit with double handed weapons or some cloaked ranged units firing rifles or crossbows.

Pestilens

Keep = plague furnace, plague claw (good models) plague monks (still a fine kit)

New = plague preist ( new plastic model) censor bearers ( how they look on the new underworlds band!) 

Keep 3 replace 2. How they managed a battletome with these kits I'll never know! I would go with a plague boss as the leader and new plague priests fitting in like the leaders of the death guard. All manner of crazy things. Maybe even a plague master for all of the known plagues? Can't think how to expand to much though!

Masterclan/Verminus/rest 

Keep = clawlord, verminlords, thanquol, grey seer

New = I never realised before but the stormvermin and clanrats are good kits! Lots of variety in faces etc but stormvermin are especially monopose. GW like to redo the core of the faction so I could see at least one of these down. Rat swarm also the cursed city ones are great.

Overall Skaven have so much variety and along with Seraphon I've always considered them to be the most unique factions not really found anywhere else!  There isn't alot really to add on terms of new warscrolls etc with most just being a range refresh to plastic. If you were thinking of how to differentiate the clans or bring them all together I'd love to hear what you'd all do! What new models would there be and how do you see them fitting into AoS?

• Like 1

The skaven are an incredible

15 hours ago, CDM said:

Having a stab shank at Skaven today. Looking at what models in my opinion need moving faction, replacing, moving to TOW etc. Give it the proper dream AoS range refresh. I did toy with whether pestilens should be moved to maggotkin but they're such an intrinsic part I think they should also have some units in maggotkin as well but will get to that later. 

The four great clans work so well in AoS but I think we need a huge release to do them justice. Looking at the range there's so much variety there they dont need too much new stuff but so much resin and metal and some just odd looking models!

Skyre 

New model = Arch warlock ( love this model but needs plastic) Warlock engineers ( multi part kit that could represent more than one warscroll, warlock ?? Warlock ?? Etc) doomflayer (new plastic kit) acolytes ( I love these, I remember the first time I saw a poison wind globadier? In a gw store I remember thinking what the hell is that! Love it!) Plastic weapons team (easy one kit to cover all the 2 man teams including jezzails and the long gone mortar!)

Keep = warlock bombadier (looks great and new) warp lightning cannon (great kit) doomwheel (looks good,plastic) stormfiends (great models)

Keep 4 kits retire 8 new 5. Thimk the range is excellent other than a couple new warlock types Skyre have all bases covered!

Moulder

New model = master moulder (new leader needed and also needs a giant mount like the brood horror, foot and mounted options) giant rats (with pack master) rat ogors ( new sculpts would look great)  wolf rat cavalry ( lancers on fw style wolf rats) new character (maybe with rat ogor body guards)

Keep = hell pit abomination (still works, cool idea) 

Scrap = packmaster,ogors,giant rats (I like the thought of a mixed unit but time to go)

Keep 1 kit retire 2 new 5 . Probably more design space here then I can think of. I like the thought of packmasters moving around with mixes of giant rats, ogors and rat swarms. Maybe an abomination shaped like a catapult!? Inflated ogor balloons dropping giant balls of something disgusting! I don't know! But I'm sure there's some good ideas out there.

Eshin

New =gutter runners and night runners(eww new plastic kits needed! The aesthetic of the claw pack but not sure how to differentiate the two? Maybe gutter runners are like the claw pack in appearance and the nightrunners the more toned down version)

Keep = deathmaster (brand new) skittershanks claw pack ( new, Warcry and underworlds to stay, they are a great way of adding to factions) 

Keep 2 replace 2. The latest Eshin models have been superb but there's not to much too them as a faction. Maybe a bodyguard unit with double handed weapons or some cloaked ranged units firing rifles or crossbows.

Pestilens

Keep = plague furnace, plague claw (good models) plague monks (still a fine kit)

New = plague preist ( new plastic model) censor bearers ( how they look on the new underworlds band!) 

Keep 3 replace 2. How they managed a battletome with these kits I'll never know! I would go with a plague boss as the leader and new plague priests fitting in like the leaders of the death guard. All manner of crazy things. Maybe even a plague master for all of the known plagues? Can't think how to expand to much though!

Masterclan/Verminus/rest 

Keep = clawlord, verminlords, thanquol, grey seer

New = I never realised before but the stormvermin and clanrats are good kits! Lots of variety in faces etc but stormvermin are especially monopose. GW like to redo the core of the faction so I could see at least one of these down. Rat swarm also the cursed city ones are great.

Overall Skaven have so much variety and along with Seraphon I've always considered them to be the most unique factions not really found anywhere else!  There isn't alot really to add on terms of new warscrolls etc with most just being a range refresh to plastic. If you were thinking of how to differentiate the clans or bring them all together I'd love to hear what you'd all do! What new models would there be and how do you see them fitting into AoS?

faction and in need of an update, in models and especially in the rules (the chrrent book is a pile of waldorf goodness, and not a book written for skaven, about the skaven or has anything to do with the skaven at all.)

I think you have made some great point.

While I’m uncertain what in your oppinion gets removed from tje range in skryre considering that all currently existing units with a refresh, as you would have mentioned would stay, I don’t quite agree on the clan moulder part of your thought.

while I agree that the packmaster isn’t needed in the way we have them currently, as hou habe mentioned, I would not want to see rat ogres and giant rats removed from the range.

do that and we either have a clan unplayable in its mono stayed or with the exception of the hero and list that will no matter how you play it will always look the same.

so personally I would keep the rat ogres giant rats.

add in more monsters, for example having the brood horror back as a mounted and not mounted state have wolf rats be a thing again.

as for the packmasters.  On their own they make no sense I would prefer seeing them become a part of every rat ogre and giant rats unit. Something similar like the gloomspite gitz have for their squig heard. A few extra wounds that can give out a small buff every turn. It would make the packmaster mkre interesting, rather then being a worser master moulder.