The 'Beasts of chaos redesign' discussion

CDM

Hi all hoping to start some lively debate away from the rumours thread. This will be the first in a series where I'll put my opinion across of all the factions models and available warscrolls and where I believe their future lies in AoS. Feel free to disagree and share your own opinions! Obviously some factions will have more changes than others.

Ive decided to think whether the units/kits should be dropped, moved to TOW, move to different  faction, keep but new model and just plain keep (reasoning in brackets) . Also I'll finish off with new units!

Leaders

Keep = Beastlord, Grashrak Fellhoof, Great bray shaman. (All plastic, all look great, representing Beasts from the Chaos realm)

Move to Tzeentch Arcanites = Tzaangor Shaman (no mono god models)

Move to TOW = Doombull ( ugly!)

New model = Shaggoth (love this model! but plastic and bigger, beast of azyr, could be dual kit with character)

Battleline

New model = gors ( could do with an update, chaos realm)

Move to TOW = ungors, spawn (classics but no place in my beasts vision!)

Behemoth

Keep = Ghorgon, Cygor ( still a good looking model and fits well in AoS, chaos realm)

Move to TOW = chaos gargant ( love this kit but time to go), chimera and jabberslythe (decent kits but could do better)

Other

Keep = warhounds, grashraks despoilers 

new kit = dragon ogor (azyr) tuskgor chariot (chaos) 

Move to other factions = fiendblood, enlightened, enlightened on disks, skyfires,Tzaangors ( no mono gods again!)

Move to TOW = spawn, bestigors, bullgors, cockatrice, razorgors, ungor raiders, centigors. ( Some good some bad better served as TOW or reimagened)

Battletome release

So we had 30 warscrolls on the app (not including terrain and endless spells) . I've kept 7 warscrolls and updated 4 for 11 warscrolls.

First new model Morghur! Great big new centrepiece model. He's also the basis for the beasts becoming prominent in the setting again. Another nemesis to Ariel as well and now a minor chaos god.

He comes back and twists mortals and children of chaos alike, able to corrupt in all realms and draw energy from all realms to corrupt.

As I've retired so many units I've tried to reimagine what I'd like to see in a Beasts of Chaos factions and above all I'd like to see the magic in the realms playing their part on the creation of new children. The monogod gors will be in their respective battletomes with new pestigors and Khornegors too. The tried and tested  gors etc will represent children of the chaos realm.

Ulgugors, Hyshgors etc from the different realms properly fitting their particular realm and having that AoS turn it up a notch we all love. Maybe spawn could be twisted  from the realm of life, metal minotaurs from Chamon, a razorgor type beast  from ghur, angelic centigors from hysh! 

Would see another 10-12 units from the different realms really encapsulating their corruption in that realm. I can visualise what some of these  may look like but possibilities are endless! 

These are my thoughts anyway what about yours!? Obviously as the title suggest this is very wishlisty but I think beasts can play a part in the mortal realms with a bit of an AoS styling.

Edited by CDM

• CDM changed the title to The 'Beasts of chaos redesign' discussion

Hmmmm.... 

I agree that BoC are both an army that hasnt fully fit into AoS yet AND has great ToW flair.

But... 

I honestly do not see GW change more than send the oldest/worst kits ( eg Jabberslythe and Cockatrice) to legends. 

Sure, if i had a wish i would ask for new Minos/DOgors that are not atroiciously ugly. 

But they just are not in focus enough in either system to get much attention. 

Also i find the Ungor => Gor => Bestigor thing to be a core idea for the faction. You cannot just get rid of that ;)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Koala said:

Also i find the Ungor => Gor => Bestigor thing to be a core idea for the faction. You cannot just get rid of that ;)

I also would of never suggested this before TOW was announced. I love this concept! But it can now live forever in the old world I just think Beasts in AoS need a bit more in my opinion of course.

When I suggested that gors remain, maybe they could be a mixed unit? Easy enough to do from one kit. You choose the make up of Ungor gor and bestigor in each unit. Not much more than a head and weapon swap.

If they are to fit in AOS, I think they need to change dramatically, not just shuffle around a few kits. If AOS is bringing fantasy to 11, Goats are like a 2. To be an 11, they need to either go whole hog-wild with different animals, or maybe go all-in on the mutation side. 

One direct- Animals

Elephant heavy infantry? What about a Cygor but a giraffe? Why not antelope cavalry? Dolphin headed soldiers? Lion-headed hunter soldiers. The sky is literally the limit.

Another Direction-Spawn

Everything horrifically mutated, think an army of possessed type models, all bursting with tentacles and extra teeth.

• Like 1