lord of spites

Aezeal

Question

The Sylvaneth command trait ' Lord of Spites ' gives enemy units that finish a pile-in move within 3' of that general -1 on A for melee weapons. 

I've assumed it was an auto effect. In my last game my opponent said 'but I'm not moving my model' - it was a unit of bloodletters (the effect effectively halves their damage so was very welcome) which had a charge move which was much more than the minimum needed so every model was already correctly positioned.

He didn't make a point of it (he was winning) and we gave them -1 attack. 

Soon I'll be playing in a tournament and considering the wording of the rule I could see a compative crowd making a point about it. What is the general verdict?

3 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Aezeal said:

And if no actual move is made... the ability doesn't fire? That makes it sort of useless so it seems unlogical.

Correct, the unit did not finish a pile in move within 3" of the model, so it doesn't suffer the negatives. Note that it's if a "unit" finishes a pile in, so if even a single model needs to move then the unit has made a pile in and will take the penalty.

It doesn't make it useless, but it does make it more niche, it means that enemies will have to roll higher charges and hit you front-on to maximise contact without piling in.

Making a pile in move is an optional part of fighting:

12.1.1 Fight

When you pick a unit to fight, first you can make a pile-in move with each model in the unit (see 12.2) and then you must make combat attacks with the models in the unit (see 12.3). That unit has then fought.

If the player sees no reason to make the pile in then they don't have to - and it would probably be silly to do so in such a situation.

Edited by Dogmantra

On 5/20/2023 at 11:48 PM, Dogmantra said:

Making a pile in move is an optional part of fighting:

If the player sees no reason to make the pile in then they don't have to - and it would probably be silly to do so in such a situation.

And if no actual move is made... the ability doesn't fire? That makes it sort of useless so it seems unlogical.