Fight again and pile in

unitled

Question

Hello! Bit of an argument over a hypothetical situation on a server I'm in, I'm going to send in an email to the FAQ address as I don't see it specifically answered anywhere: if a unit with a 'fight again' ability (e.g. Chaos Chosen) charges then fights, can it be selected to 'fight again' with the relevant ability if they ended up outside of 3" 'engagement range' of an enemy unit after the first fight?  

Just in case it isn't clear:

• Chaos Chosen charges successfully in the Charge Phase
  • Selected to fight in the Fight Phase, piles in and kills all models within 3". Unit states they will use 'Heralds of Ruination' once they've fought.
  • When units are striking last, Chaos Chosen fight again and pile in 3" (potentially to more models which they can fight).

Is this allowed?

1 answer to this question

RAW, yes:

you must either pick 1 eligible friendly unit to fight or you must pass. A unit is eligible to fight if it is within 3" of an enemy unit and it has not fought in that phase, or if it made a charge move in the same turn and it has not fought in that phase.

Heralds of Ruination let you Fight again (that allows to ignore the red part), but thanks that your unit has made a charge move, you can make a Fight Sequence even if they are not within 3" of any enemy unit.

Note: you still have a 3" Pile In move to take objectives or try to reach any enemy model, but your attacks will fail if there isn't any enemy within range of your weapons after the Pile In.

Edited by Beliman
  • Like 1