How literal do people adjudicate distances?

Non Sequor

Question

So far I’ve just playing both sides of the two armies I have and I’ve generally been inclined to just measure distances overhead for one lead model and estimate/measure deductions to the range for any individual pathing issues/terrain and then eyeball the final layout to try to keep all models within their range. In a real game would this generally be agreeable or do people do more to demonstrate that each model is not violating the range requirements. Terrain seems to greatly complicate this and it seems like coming up with an agreement that you’ve made accepts allowances for all of the movement rules without adjudicating them model by model seems a lot faster.

2 answers to this question

Generally that's fine, you measure out the front models and any model where distance is crucial (maybe tagging an objective on a side model) then filling the back ranks behind. If the unit has shooting and the back ranks may be in a position where they could be out of range it's best to measure from the back ranks to the target and determine if that is less than the units move + range so you can confirm with your opponent it is possible.

E.g. my judicators shoot 18 and move 5 (23 in total), they are set up in 3 ranks. I measure the back ranks and find they are 22 away. I can now move my first rank 5 and eyeball the next 2 ranks with both myself and opponent comfortable that I am indeed in range.

Playing with intention is a really good habit to get into, being clear with your opponent about where your models are and the distances from one another, it makes the game much faster and cleaner

• Thanks 1

On 9/30/2022 at 6:44 AM, Non Sequor said:

So far I’ve just playing both sides of the two armies I have and I’ve generally been inclined to just measure distances overhead for one lead model and estimate/measure deductions to the range for any individual pathing issues/terrain and then eyeball the final layout to try to keep all models within their range. In a real game would this generally be agreeable or do people do more to demonstrate that each model is not violating the range requirements. Terrain seems to greatly complicate this and it seems like coming up with an agreement that you’ve made accepts allowances for all of the movement rules without adjudicating them model by model seems a lot faster.

It depends on the game.  in a tournament i wouldn't be surprised to see some laser accuracy for measurement.  

in pick up games it 100% doesn't matter as rarely ever would an issue arise where it would be really out of whack.

I used to play large unit Ork games and would measure the lead, then two outside models then everyone else pilled up behind.  No one every had a problem.  I also ask my opponent if they are okay I do that.

Chess clocks are also dumb.