Battlelines Drawn and Terrain/Summoning/etc

Landohammer

Question

The Battlelines Drawn battleplan in the new GHB makes each table quarter an objective. So how does that interact with rules that require you set setup stuff "more than 3" away from objectives"

Just a list of examples:

Faction Terrain

Gravemarkers

Nurgle Summoning, etc

4 answers to this question

I mean if you want to go strictly by the word of the rules, it says that each quarter is treated as an objective "for the purposes of abilities, grand strategies, and battle tactics". Summoning and placing terrain does tend to count as an ability from what I understand, so I think the rule is you can't put them on the table because there is nowhere more than 1" from a table quarter.

However I think that this is perhaps a bit too harsh on those abilities and I don't think it was fully intended because it would probably just say that you can't use those abilities in this case. I fully expect that if this gets FAQed they will find some compromise to allow you to use these abilities.

In friendly games if you didn't want to forbid abilities like that outright, you could consider just allowing them anywhere, or perhaps something like you can only summon into table quarters that have no enemy presence or maybe you can't gain control of a quarter by summoning? Something like that.

15 hours ago, Dogmantra said:

I mean if you want to go strictly by the word of the rules, it says that each quarter is treated as an objective "for the purposes of abilities, grand strategies, and battle tactics". Summoning and placing terrain does tend to count as an ability from what I understand, so I think the rule is you can't put them on the table because there is nowhere more than 1" from a table quarter.

However I think that this is perhaps a bit too harsh on those abilities and I don't think it was fully intended because it would probably just say that you can't use those abilities in this case. I fully expect that if this gets FAQed they will find some compromise to allow you to use these abilities.

In friendly games if you didn't want to forbid abilities like that outright, you could consider just allowing them anywhere, or perhaps something like you can only summon into table quarters that have no enemy presence or maybe you can't gain control of a quarter by summoning? Something like that.

Thanks for the reply. In a friendly game I would just reroll the scenario because I am a Sylvaneth player and "Confined Caverns" rule completely turns off my entire allegiance along with a chunk of my warscroll abilities anyway. 

The irony is that most of my meta were ok with the scenario (despite us Sylvaneth and KO players screaming) until they realized it impacted THEIR army too lol. So NOW its a problem 🤣

Edited by Landohammer
  • Haha 1

On 7/11/2022 at 5:21 PM, Landohammer said:

The Battlelines Drawn battleplan in the new GHB makes each table quarter an objective. So how does that interact with rules that require you set setup stuff "more than 3" away from objectives"

Just a list of examples:

Faction Terrain

Gravemarkers

Nurgle Summoning, etc

Only the summoning of a new Feculant Gnarlmaw will be affected from Nurgle summoning, the other options don´t have the 3" away from.. rule

• Like 1

I don't think pre-game terrain placement, faction or otherwise, counts as an "ability." If so that would also mean you aren't allowed to place any terrain on this battleplan either, you'd have to play on planet bowling ball. Which is obviously not intended.

I guess you could argue that placing faction terrain after the game has started would technically be an ability, so RAW you wouldn't be able to add trees (of the Sylvaneth or Nurgle varieties) or the boats from the artefact, but again this seems so clearly unintended that I'd honestly giggle if anyone tried to tell me I couldn't do it, no matter what the setting is. 

Edited by yukishiro1