Can pure Pestilens be a thing?

Simon1971

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/10/2016 at 9:25 AM, WSDdeloach said:

I like this list. Not too many models, but good standing. Holds ground well, when units pump into you, you start dishing out mortal wounds. 

Leaders
Verminlord Corruptor (240)
- General
- Trait: Cunning Deceiver
- Artefact: Beguiling Gem
Plague Furnace (220)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Plague Furnace (220)
- Artefact: Crown of Conquest
Plague Priest with Plague Censer (80)

Units
Plague Censer Bearers x 10 (120)
Plague Censer Bearers x 10 (120)
Plague Monks x 20 (140)
- Foetid Blades
Plague Monks x 20 (140)
- Foetid Blades

Behemoths

War Machines
Plagueclaw (180)
Plagueclaw (180)
Plagueclaw (180)

Batallions
Congregation of Filth (60)
Plaguesmog Congregation (80)

Total: 1960/2000

There's some really excellent posts on this thread! I particularly like the idea of this list, it's almost like an 'elite' Pestilens army. I'm currently torn between going down a mixed Pestilens/Nurgle Daemons or Pure Pestilens route - I own the virulent Horde box set so far.

One of the attractive things about this list is the low model count. Don't get me wrong, I think Horde Armies can look amazing and are great for controlling objectives in matched play, and it's not even the painting that bothers me most - monks look pretty simple to paint -it's the tedious moving of a hundred+ models around the table! 

Anyway, couple of questions for you @WSDdeloach 

1. Have you played this list and if so have you had any success?! Given the lack of a standard profile armour save for monks and censer bearers I'd imagine those 60 models get whittled down pretty quick.

2. Why did you choose a Congregation of Filth above a Foulrain Congregation given that you had the points spare?

Many thanks!

@Percivael

I'm not running that list anymore, that was a first attempt at a "competitive" Pestilens list. Had success among some casual AoS players... But as soon as I stepped in with more serious opponents. Hard to win with, and Pestilens by nature are a offensive>defensive army to begin with. 

I just found the plague censers and the Verminlord just not pulling weight. 

So I moved on to a more straightforward buff stack list. Here. Now it's about 40 more models, all monks. Big bonuses from congregations of filth x2 and the foulrain. Still playing with command abilities and stuff. 

Look, I think it's totally viable of you do the virulent procession and x2 plague claws. But for me, I really wanted to min/max my attacks and get my movement up asap. With only three drops I have a good chance of going first. 

Leaders
Plague Furnace (220)
Plague Furnace (220)
Lord Skrolk (100)

Units
Plague Monks x 20 (140)
- Foetid Blades
Plague Monks x 20 (140)
- Foetid Blades
Plague Monks x 30 (210)
- Foetid Blades
Plague Monks x 30 (210)