Stormcast List building

Dracothjay

Hi guys, so i've been writing lists for Stormcast and when i set a 'no formations' list i always seem to fall back on Skyborne Slayers. Do Stormcast perform just as well without formations?

Also, if i'm not running with formations, am i looking to use a Knight Heraldor so units from my army have at least that extra bit of movement? I was looking at my fulminators today and thinking a heraldor would compliment them getting a run + charge. Is this the type of synergy i'm looking for if i'm not deep striking?

I love the Vex+Ret combo, what other combo's are out there?

To capitalize on this, a list I've written and like looks like this:

Lord Celestant

Lord Castellant

Knight Heraldor

5 Judicators

5 Judicators

10 Liberators

5 Protectors

5 Retributors

5 Retributors

4 Fulminators

Gryph Hound

Knight Heraldor is in here to maybe help the Dracoth's get an early charge in. And as paladins move slowly, i thought he was a fantastic option to help them out also with their movement.

Lord Castellant for defensive saves, holding at the rear with Lord Celestant. Depending on how the game is panning out, i could push all my lord's up if i'm in a good position and won't be left stranded. 

Main effort is to obviously advance the whole army forward, letting the Fulminators strike the first blows.

Finaly, i could always reduce the Liberators to a squad of 5, remove the gryph houn and would spare my 140 points to spend on another lord. Maybe Knight Venator or Relictor.

Views?

If you hang the fulminators out they will get wiped. Better to have them shield from shooting as advancing, have them charge and then your next turn, retreat and have the heraldor let them charge again. I might even run them as two units of 2. Keep the griff hound near the judicators if you play a lot of opponent can summon. Otherwise drop it for a relictor.

Since you look like you are wanting to maintain your force until it gets there, and after, I'd take the relictor either to heal or give the -1.

So you recommend having the fulminators advance at the front of the army, sticking close to my forces until the time is right to charge, retreat the re-charge? 

Amd I love the relictor, I would have to drop 5 liberators to get him in. Although a unit of 10 liberators is appealing, I think I might make that sacrifice and cut them down to a unit of 5 to get him in. 

But you don't have to take SS battalion. I have seen a lot of competitive lists without any of the formations. Having said that, SS is so powerful simply due to the fact that you have board control straight away. Coupled with the celestant prime I tend to drop them in turn two, prime turn 3 as 2nd wave of impact support. The other units is use with that list is LCoD, knight venator and 3 prosecutors. Opponents see them as juicy targets and break their army apart to chase me down, then when they are devided, I strike. 

Archived