Warchanters and Violent Fury (AoS 3)

Inu

Hi everyone. Somewhat new player to AoS here, with Ironjawz army and less than 10 games played.

In short: With more than one Warchanter in army, can I use Violent Fury with all of them in the same phase?

Why I'm asking: A recent game with Da Choppas and 2 Warchanters made me and my opponent feel like we're missing some rule. I know that command abilities can only be played once per turn, but as far as I know, Violent Fury is not a command ability. So, with more than one Warchanter, can I really use Violent Fury multiple times? With 2 Warchanters and Da Choppas, this means I can give 6 units a bonus of +1 damage to all melee attacks, effectively multiplying the strength of my army -- completely free (no command point costs etc.).

Da Choppas bonus (target 3 units instead of just one) only affects brutes and ardboyz, but still seems a bit much, since both of them mostly do only 1 damage per attack, so +1 bonus doubles their effectiveness. We both thought that's kinda over-powering, when applied to 6 units at a time, but couldn't find a rule (or even forum discussion) that would state a limit for Violent Fury's usage (other than a unit can only have one Violent Fury bonus at the time).

1 hour ago, Inu said:

Hi everyone. Somewhat new player to AoS here, with Ironjawz army and less than 10 games played.

In short: With more than one Warchanter in army, can I use Violent Fury with all of them in the same phase?

Why I'm asking: A recent game with Da Choppas and 2 Warchanters made me and my opponent feel like we're missing some rule. I know that command abilities can only be played once per turn, but as far as I know, Violent Fury is not a command ability. So, with more than one Warchanter, can I really use Violent Fury multiple times? With 2 Warchanters and Da Choppas, this means I can give 6 units a bonus of +1 damage to all melee attacks, effectively multiplying the strength of my army -- completely free (no command point costs etc.).

Da Choppas bonus (target 3 units instead of just one) only affects brutes and ardboyz, but still seems a bit much, since both of them mostly do only 1 damage per attack, so +1 bonus doubles their effectiveness. We both thought that's kinda over-powering, when applied to 6 units at a time, but couldn't find a rule (or even forum discussion) that would state a limit for Violent Fury's usage (other than a unit can only have one Violent Fury bonus at the time).

Yes, every warchanter can use Violent Fury every turn. The army only works because Violent Fury is a thing otherwise our stuff is a bit overcosted for what it does.

As Malakree says above each Warchanter you take can use Violent Fury and in Da' Choppas each one can target 1-3 ard boyz/brutes. 

Its a very stong ability but Da Choppas dont see overwhelming play as Gruntas and Mawkrushas are often considered a better pick for VF targets and Bloodtooths and Ironsunz are seemingly preferred for army composition. Also warchanters are rather squishy at 6w and 4+ with no ward so they can be sniped easily enough in a lot of cases.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Underworld40k said:

Its a very stong ability but Da Choppas dont see overwhelming play as Gruntas and Mawkrushas are often considered a better pick for VF targets and Bloodtooths and Ironsunz are seemingly preferred for army composition. Also warchanters are rather squishy at 6w and 4+ with no ward so they can be sniped easily enough in a lot of cases.

The other two issues are that the 2h are universally preferred atm, which are better in squads of 10. plus the buff range is quite small meaning you end up with clunky bubbles wandering around the board.

I guess ideally you'd end up with a warchanter and 3 units of 5 man 2h units which is 600 points of restrictive waddling into the metas shooting walls. For the same price you can get a warchanter, an MK and have the amazing Ironsunz CA instead.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 3/16/2022 at 8:27 AM, Malakree said:

The other two issues are that the 2h are universally preferred atm, which are better in squads of 10. plus the buff range is quite small meaning you end up with clunky bubbles wandering around the board.

I guess ideally you'd end up with a warchanter and 3 units of 5 man 2h units which is 600 points of restrictive waddling into the metas shooting walls. For the same price you can get a warchanter, an MK and have the amazing Ironsunz CA instead.

One remedy for a slogging foot list such as this could be a MBMK and a Footboss. Give the MBMK Mega Bossy and now 5 units can be mighty destroyer’d forward. This can move those big blocks at least 8” up the board without running or more with running.