Praetors

Dogmantra

Some of the coolest models in the range, I'm going to paint mine up next. But I'm wondering, has anyone actually given them a go?

10 attacks at 3+/3+/-1/2 seems decent for the points, and you're also getting the bodyguard which will roughly double to triple most heroes' wound counts, depending on whether the praetors get focused down.

The big deal is really how do you actually effectively use them? Their stats are appealing in isolation but it does seem a bit like they might just be a good way to add an extra 165 points to the cost of a hero. The fact both they and the hero need to be on the board at the start of the game and that they're a foot unit really puts a damper on my plans.

The only thought I really had was combining with a LA on Gryph or Lord Aquilor and a priest with translocation to set up a bit of a forward castle. Ride the winds aetheric, translocate the praetors then drop some other stuff to screen. Still doesn't seem too great.

So yeah, thoughts on Praetors? I really want to like them. I know they're probably not going to be in any top tier competitive lists any time soon, but that's not the point of this thread.

I only consider them if I am running a list which is based in Gardus' aura. I think he's the only hero whose importance and speed make the Praetors a decent choice.

In most other cases either the cost of the Praetors is more than the hero you wish to protect or their lack of speed means they won't be able to keep up.

In your example, the added cost of Praetors and a relictor would make it cheaper and more effective to just ran a second arcanum on gryph/aquilor.

Doesn't Gardus' Ward disable the bodyguard rule? I recall there being a lot of discussion about this before it was FAQ'd

All in all; no experience with praetors I can help with. I'd think the general challenge with them would be that the heroes you'd want them to protect are too quick, and that they are very expensive for a low amount of wounds if the opponent can just target them with attacks first. And, the slower hero's on foot are generally in the backline regardless. Here, the praetors might protect them from ranged mortal wound output from for instance lumineth or kruleboyz, but Stormcast are probably too weak against mortal wound output to compensate. 

4 minutes ago, Abstract_duck said:

Doesn't Gardus' Ward disable the bodyguard rule? I recall there being a lot of discussion about this before it was FAQ'd

Yes, you cannot use the bodyguard rule and the ward. However, the bodyguard is on a 3+ so using it instead of the ward it drastically improves the survivability of gardus (in practice, it gives him 9 extra wounds).

• Like 1