AoS 3 - Ironjawz Discussion

Arzalyn

@Flippy haha yes- it is a stormcast profile, exactly. That's an ideal comparison point. Stormcast are flush with low quality 2W infantry with a decent save, nearly all of which are terrible and have seen wave after wave of points drops in 3.0, none of which were ever enough to push the vast majority into viability. You can go look at the SCE thread to see what the general feeling is for these types of units in SCE, no reason to expect they'll be much better here when you can't even take them in 5s to use as cheap screens.

If you want an even closer comparison, look no further than the chaos warrior - which is both cheaper and due to that MW save, I would say better at the one job these types of units can perform efficiently when locked to 10 guys minimum. Those also just dropped in points (again) to 180, so maybe you'll see them a little more often but they're hardly going to be stealing the show. 

It's just a weak niche, AoS doesn't gravitate towards these types of units- screening and objective units are better served by being as cheap as  possible so you don't overcommit and lose a ton of resources from a big hammer unit swinging into you. Hammer units need more native damage or to access stronger buffs so they can outright obliterate whatever they bump into. Intermediary units, the kind that make up a ton of the stormcast range and nobody really uses, struggle to serve in a world where they don't excel at any role (except soaking those aformentioned masses of low-rend attacks which is in my experience a threat that never really materializes on the table).

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, NauticalSoup said:

@Flippy haha yes- it is a stormcast profile, exactly. That's an ideal comparison point. Stormcast are flush with low quality 2W infantry with a decent save, nearly all of which are terrible and have seen wave after wave of points drops in 3.0, none of which were ever enough to push the vast majority into viability. You can go look at the SCE thread to see what the general feeling is for these types of units in SCE, no reason to expect they'll be much better here when you can't even take them in 5s to use as cheap screens.

If you want an even closer comparison, look no further than the chaos warrior - which is both cheaper and due to that MW save, I would say better at the one job these types of units can perform efficiently when locked to 10 guys minimum. Those also just dropped in points (again) to 180, so maybe you'll see them a little more often but they're hardly going to be stealing the show. 

It's just a weak niche, AoS doesn't gravitate towards these types of units- screening and objective units are better served by being as cheap as  possible so you don't overcommit and lose a ton of resources from a big hammer unit swinging into you. Hammer units need more native damage or to access stronger buffs so they can outright obliterate whatever they bump into. Intermediary units, the kind that make up a ton of the stormcast range and nobody really uses, struggle to serve in a world where they don't excel at any role (except soaking those aformentioned masses of low-rend attacks which is in my experience a threat that never really materializes on the table).

I do play predominantly against the Sylvanteh and HoS. Guess this is the main reason why I value the ability to soak a high number of low-rend attacks slightly higher.

• Like 1

Maybe it's a local meta thing then, in my scene the big threats are cutting through my stormcast 3+ like butter. Not that chip threats don't exist but I'm usually not losing 500+ point investment units to chip damage.

I'm just a little sad because I think the ardboys are the unit I would most want to buy a lot of to flesh out an IJ infantry force cos I'm tired of pigs/losing but I don't think they're there yet. I hope they get a quick push down to 200 and *dream* they go to 180 before the season cycles.

I'll probably still buy 30 sooner or later even if they don't, I've been getting pummeled all 3.0 with SCE and kruleboyz it can't be much worse, just... gotta manage expectations 😛

• Like 1

If i ever have too much money and free time.

LEADERS
Tuskboss (380)
     - General
BATTLELINE
Maw-grunta Gougers (180)
Maw-grunta Gougers (180)
Maw-grunta Gougers (180)
Maw-grunta Gougers (180)
Maw-grunta Gougers (180)
Maw-grunta Gougers (180)
BEHEMOTH
Maw-Grunta (270)