Mapping the Realms (lore)

KhaosZand3r

I haven't gotten a chance to read up on the Age of Sigmar lore, especially since almost none of it seems to have made it online. One of my favorite things in the 8th edition army books was the faction territory maps. Do such maps exist for the Mortal Realms, and where they are in relation to eachother? I haven't been able to find anything concrete.

So far, AFAIK, we haven't seen a definitive map of the Realms, or even of an entire Realm, just maps of small areas.

I get the impression that the Realms may be a shifting landscape, especially given that until recently, Chaos had a strong presence in every Realm. The laws of nature - such as the are - have probably been weakened by exposure to Chaos and haven't fully recovered yet.

5 minutes ago, KhaosZand3r said:

What bothers me is for all we know each realm could be a separate planet or a separate continent, minus Azyr which as far as I know is the odd ringworld. Any definitive answer would be great....

What I can tell you we definitely do know is that they are separate worlds linked by realmgates. Now, the gates might not be the only way to go from Realm to Realm, but we also know that the gates are important enough that controlling them is a major strategic concern, and that by achieving victory at the Allpoints, Archaon set the stage for the entire Age of Chaos. That definitely implies that they are different worlds, possibly even different universes - if all Sigmar had to do to remain a player after Archaon took the Allpoints was build a navy, the Age of Chaos wouldn't have been nearly so bad.

My personal guess is that they are "planets" (though they aren't necessarily spherical terrestrial bodies) orbiting the metallic core of the Old World, which is surrounded by Azyrheim. The Seraphon can easily move from world to world or from world to the mysterious celestial Realm they call home, and the Stormcast can do so with Sigmar's magic, though it's much more difficult and storm-travel somehow permanently diminishes them. Each Realm has numerous gates, though only one location - Allpoints, and I'm not sure where it is - has gates to all the Realms in close proximity to each other.

Ah ok. Thanks. I remember at one point, in the build up period between 8th edition and AoS launching, seeing a picture with multiple planets in relatively close proximity cleary not under our laws of physics. I don't remember if there was a planet for each realm though. I can't seem to find that image again.

13 minutes ago, ElectricPaladin said:

My personal guess is that they are "planets" (though they aren't necessarily spherical terrestrial bodies) orbiting the metallic core of the Old World, which is surrounded by Azyrheim.

This is not quite right, although it's a very easy mistake to make since the text is pretty vague. The artwork makes things a little clearer.

Azyrheim, the city, is on the world/planet Azyr (in a mountain valley, IIRC). Those buildings in the foreground of the image are part of Azyrheim. The Sigmarabulum (ringworld/space station) that surrounds Mallus (core of the World That Was) is in the upper right of the image. Dharroth (probably Mannslieb but not confirmed) and Sigendil the High Star (probably the white dwarf remnant of the WH world's sun, but also not confirmed) float above the Sigmarabulum. It is unclear whether Sigmar's palace is that structure on Dharroth that extends up towards Sigendil, or whether it is part of the Sigmarabulum. The Sigmarabulum is not Azyrheim. It's not a city but a military base (for the Stormcast) with workshops and weaponsmiths (mostly run by duardin).

Azyr isn't just a 'fantasy outer space' that the other Mortal Realms exist within. Personally, I'd have preferred that. But it is explicitly described as being a physical place/world with oceans and mountains and so on. Azyrheim does seem to be the only city on this world, though.

Well we do have a map of the realm of life. I think the realms are similar to the worlds of world of warcraft you know the dark portal etc. Or stargate. The people who live in the realms now are pretty much like wtf there are other realms? When stormcast tell them about it. Josh said the realms have pretty normal places for people to live but the wind that spawned it has effected the realm/planet slightly. 

Like ayzr night time has TONS of stars and planets/rocks? etc. While like the realm of metal he notes that the grass or trees might have more iron in them it's just that the armies battle in uber magical places where people don't really live. 

Back in the age of myth moving between them was the norm that's how they did trade in the past. 

GW have said the realms are "near" infinite to give them room to add stuff on. This is the current map of the realm of life but stuff can still be added in. 

Campaign-Map.jpg

So the Realms really are just giant "plains" of existence. The reason that Azyr is a big empty sky with stars and at least one planet (and a giant metal core, a sun, and a space station) is that Azyr is the Realm of the Celestial Wind. The other Realms don't exist in Azyr... it's just that that's what Azyr is like.

I do like that the Realms have normal places as well. That's neat, and important to remember. Even the Realm of Death has some places where you can raise a family without studying necromancy.

Just now, ElectricPaladin said:

So the Realms really are just giant "plains" of existence. The reason that Azyr is a big empty sky with stars and at least one planet (and a giant metal core, a sun, and a space station) is that Azyr is the Realm of the Celestial Wind. The other Realms don't exist in Azyr... it's just that that's what Azyr is like.

I do like that the Realms have normal places as well. That's neat, and important to remember. Even the Realm of Death has some places where you can raise a family without studying necromancy.

Well yes but the issue is that the realm is filled with necromancers and well vampires. Plus nagash... it seems that if you swore fealty to him he was content to let things be in a sense. Betray him once well... there goes your soul and you better get ready for eternal torment. 

Normal people do indeed live there there is a group of pilgrims that mannfred and the stormcast come across in a blood desert. 

5 hours ago, Shadowspite said:

Re. the Realms being 'planets', I think GW have taken the Elder Scrolls route of having infinite planes look like spheres/'planets' from the outside. But that hasn't been explicitly stated AFAIK.

Yeah I think that's a good way of describing it, elder scrolls is pretty similar to the realms. 

Archived