Are Reserve Units part of a Starting Army

Kirby

Question

Battle tactics such as Ferocious Advance require units “from your starting army” to claim them.

Logically, this disallows Summoned Units “a unit that is added to your army once the battle is underway”

But what about Reserve Units?  3.1 suggests they are set up in a location other than the battlefield.  Can i deploy units from reserve to claim Ferocious Advance?   

I understand that units have to be on the board before choosing the battle tactic.  So, i know i would have to deploy from reserve in one turn and then claim the battle tactic in my next turn.

thanks

edit:

feeling embarrassed … tldr: reread ghb not just cheatsheets

Ghb 2021 p14:

“Several grand strategies and battle tactics refer to a player’s ‘starting army’ A player’s starting army is made up of units that were set up before the  first battleround, including any reserve units.  Units that are added to a player’s army after the battle has begun are not included, and neither are units that have been destroyed and subsequently returned to play.”

Edited by Kirby
Solution in ghb 2021

4 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Kirby said:

Battle tactics such as Ferocious Advance require units “from your starting army” to claim them.

Logically, this disallows Summoned Units “a unit that is added to your army once the battle is underway”

But what about Reserve Units?  3.1 suggests they are set up in a location other than the battlefield.  Can i deploy units from reserve to claim Ferocious Advance?   

I understand that units have to be on the board before choosing the battle tactic.  So, i know i would have to deploy from reserve in one turn and then claim the battle tactic in my next turn.

thanks

Ferocious advance requires a run and most units come in from reserves at the end of the movement phase, so I is there a instance where you can deploy from reserve & run in the same turn anyway? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AaronWilson said:

Ferocious advance requires a run and most units come in from reserves at the end of the movement phase, so I is there a instance where you can deploy from reserve & run in the same turn anyway? 

They can’t, but thats not my question.

my question is about whether they are considered “starting army”

can they complete the tactic in later turns?