New Player Question in my community

Battlefury

Question

Hello Ladies & Gentlemen,

a new player in my community had some questions. I answered, by using the actual AoS 3.0 rules, but one question was a thing I had to think about.

Maybe you can 100% verify how to deal with it.

Questions:

1. Do I have to take any alliance, or can I just play as I wish, if I don't want any alliance abilites?

Therfore I quotes from the rules:

"1.1 FACTIONS, BATTLETOMES AND BATTLEPACKS
To play a game of Warhammer Age of Sigmar, first you must pick the
factions you wish to include in your army (see 1.4). Each faction has
its own battletome, which contains the warscrolls (see 1.3.1), Pitched
Battle profiles (see 25.0) and allegiance abilities (see 27.0) for that
faction. Then, you and your opponent must agree upon a battlepack to
use (see 28.0). The battlepack contains instructions on how to pick your
army, set up the battlefield (see 2.0), and what you need to do in order to
win the battle."

2. So I can't play Grant Allaince? As the rules state, that each faction has their battle tome?
Grant Alliance does not have any.

Then the player told, if the old battle tomes where viable ( to take Grant Alliance ), then he would argue, that he can in fact play with no allaince, as an older AoS iteration
made tht possible.

What do think about it?

1 answer to this question

Grand Alliance Armies are basically gone.

If they are playing an open-play or narrative game its really what they and their opponents agree to play. 

If they are playing Matched Play then page 338 of the Main Rule Book or page 9 of the Generals Handbook specify that "You must pick 1 faction for your army. All the units in your army must be from a single faction." Over the page for both books there are options for Allied and coalition units, which lets you get around the "1 faction limit" but only in a modest way. 

Older reference material basically cycles out over time. Typically Battletomes remain valid until they are replaced - although they may get additions through White Dwarf/Campaign books and Errata documents preceding a new Battletome being released. Sometimes Battletomes are not updated through an edition and in the case of Grand Alliance Tomes these are from the sort of 0.5-1.0 edition of the rules and are very out of date now. 

As far as Matched Play rules are concerned, Grand Alliance Armies are no longer a thing. There are generic allegiance abilities in the core rules which could be used in open play with an older book as reference and then using updated points and rules from current models. A bit of a mess, but possible with opponents permission in open play, but not in formal matched play.