What units are in combat

McNibs

Question

Hey, struggling again with charging and who is in combat.

When you charge you roll 2d6 then determine who you can charge. If I am only just barely in range of unit A for the charge, I get to pile in 3" before combat? If this 3" gets me in range of a different unit (B) that i did not charge can I attack them? 

If the 3" puts me within 3" of a different unit that I did not charge (unit B) does this put them in combat? Ie they will not be able to move freely next turn without retreating

I play boingrots and I am wondering about their charging ability, after I succeed on my charge at a unit do I immediately trigger the effect? Or should I complete my other charges first? 

and last thing to check is can a unit use unleash hell on itself?

Thank you for all the replies they have helped game play majorly!!

1 answer to this question

4 hours ago, McNibs said:

Hey, struggling again with charging and who is in combat.

When you charge you roll 2d6 then determine who you can charge. If I am only just barely in range of unit A for the charge, I get to pile in 3" before combat? If this 3" gets me in range of a different unit (B) that i did not charge can I attack them? 

If the 3" puts me within 3" of a different unit that I did not charge (unit B) does this put them in combat? Ie they will not be able to move freely next turn without retreating

I play boingrots and I am wondering about their charging ability, after I succeed on my charge at a unit do I immediately trigger the effect? Or should I complete my other charges first? 

and last thing to check is can a unit use unleash hell on itself?

Thank you for all the replies they have helped game play majorly!!

1) Yes, you allocate attacks after you have made your pile in move. You do not need to have charged a unit to fight it. Using enemy units as slingshots to reach other units is much easier in this edition now, as you no longer pile in to the closest model, but to the closest unit. So as long as you stay as close or closer to the initial UNIT, you can move the full 3" around the various models in that unit to maximise your attacks or reach juicier targets.

2) Yes, if you end up within 3" of another unit, then it is "within engagement range" and is in combat with you. Note this does mean that unit will be eligible to activate and attack you in the combat phase.

3) The wording is "after this unit makes a charge move", so it occurs after the charge is completed, before you attempt anything else.

4) Yes, a unit that has been charged can Unleash Hell at the unit that charged it. The restriction is for other units being in 3", not the charging units. If the unit has a Champion, it can both Issue and Receive the Command Ability.