Some Maths on Nurgle Units

shadowgra

Hello, since i really like rotbringers and i am trying to build a competitive force i tried to do a thing can generally help also this community ^^

all the following maths are about mortal nurgle i did not include plaguebearers in it. maybe in a second time i could try also doing this for daemon and tamurkhan units like trolls and something else.

i simply have done a math of wounds and damage for battleline units and heroes, rating them and i will also post a final comment in which i tell you my impressions about these calculations. sorry if my english isn't ideal but is not my native language and i am still improving it ^^

MATHS

i wrote the wounds a unit make (for battleline i took the 180 points cap for easier calcs) and the wounds and mortal wounds it can take before falling. is not a complete overview of the unit, cause it is only based on combat, does not count command abilities and abilities. for example i didn't count abilities of marauders or GDC for their damage count, still i will write a comment below on each unit.

first Number: wounds they make. second Number: wounds they take. heroes has also a brief description on command abilities.

BATTLELINE

Warriors: on a 4+ save they make as 10 : 3.33 wounds. They have a 4+/5++ save with 2 wounds, means 5.667 wounds per model with no rend. Have 3 wounds against mortal. Total for 180 points: 56.67//30

Marauders: on a 4+ save they make as 30: 3.75 wounds. They have a 5+ save with 1 wound, meaning 1.3 wounds per model with no rend, 1 against mortal. 39//30

Blightkings: on a 4+ save they make as 5: 4.667 wounds. They have a 4+ save and 3 wounds. They also heal and damage with aura. They have 6 wounds per model with no rend. Have 3 wounds against mortal. 30//15

Battleline Impressions: 

warriors: great anvil, it's the unit that deals less damage for its costs, is the one who tanks the most. i think they are generally better in small units of 10 as decent stopper, since they cost a bit too much for they damage capabilities.

marauder: they are imho the real deal about troops choice in terms of mixing damage and mortal wound tankiness. they also benefit from some cool rules that make them hit  really hard, also they have a nice cost 6/model. i think that a big unit of 30 is maybe a must, definitely it is if u wanna play the plaguetouched warband, since u only lose 2 models for a great buff to his damage potential.

blightkings: they deal the most damage, they are weak to mortal wounds, but with their abilities they can heal and do stuff. i calculated the D6 extra damage for the ability for the total count, since it's a pretty easy calculation.

HEROES

Lord of Chaos: on a 3+ save he makes: 0.44+1.78. on a 4+ he makes 2.59 wounds. He has 6 wounds with a 4+ save, means 12 wounds for a no rend weapon. Slighty more damage with nurgle buff.command is fine.

Lord of Plague: on a 3+ save he makes: 1.33 wounds. On a 4+ he makes 1.55 wounds. He has 7 wounds with 4+ save and istant regen of 1 wound, making him at least 16 wounds  against no rend weapons. Command is ******.

Harbinger of Decay. On a 3+ save he makes  1.33+0.44 wounds, 2.07 against 4+.+ 2 Mortals for the blade. Vs spells he has 18 wounds. Against a no rend weapons he has 18 wounds, against mortal wounds he has roughly 9 wounds. Command is really strong.

Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount: on a 3+ save he makes 1.77+0.67. He does 2.84 damage at 4+. He has 21 wounds against no rend weapons, 10 vs mortals. Command is fine.

Gutrot Spume: he deals 1.77+0.55 wounds. On a 4+ he deals 2.7  damage. He has 21 wounds against no rend weapons, 7 against mortals. His rule is nice as ******. His command sucks.

Orghotts: on a 3+ he deals at max strenght: 0.97+1.11+1.04+0.5. on a 4+ he deals: 4.10 damage. He has 36 wounds against no rend weapon. Has 12 wounds against mortals. Command ability is nice.

Morbidex: on a 3+ he deals: 0.83+2.22+1.04. on a 4+ he deals: 4.77 wounds. He heals wound. Makes nurglings stronger. No command ability.

Glottkin: on a 3+ he deals: 1.55+3.33+0.55+1.33. on a 4+ he deals: 7.86 wounds. He has 36 wounds vs no rend damage. 18 vs mortals. Heals D3 on each of ur hero phases. If charges deals D3 mortals. Command is strong.

For commanders:

Lord of Chaos: for 100 points is the better lord,  his damage is kinda ok, its reaperblade allows him to try a takedown on an enemy hero/behemoth. his command is kinda ok, but it's pretty a small buff. kinda bad he isn't included in any formation except for plaguetouched warband.

Lord of Plague: i think he is complete ******. he deals way too low damage and his abilities are really weak. i think he is the weakest lord in the nurgle army.

Harbinger of Decay: his stats are not that great, but his command holy moly. his blade allows him to do extra damage and spread a desease on enemy units that can deal quite a bit of damage. 

Chaos Lord on Daemonic Mount: deals a bit more damage than harbinger but tanks at the sime way and costs the same. his abilities are not that cool as the harbinger ones tho. i think he is inferior unless u building like 3x gorebeast chariot.

Gutrot spume: i have been quite impressed by his stats.atches the one of the daemonic mount lord and has the same wounds against rend. i personally think he is kinda good?since his ability of grabbing an enemy weapon is cool (expecially on those characters that need a specific weapon in order to do damage). he is more like a standalone hero tho, that maybe can support well a blightking unit in close combat, rather than a general. overall not that sure about his usefulness.

Orghotts: stat wise he is the second maggoth lord. he gains however a great command, which puts him on top of the maggoth lords imho.

Morbidex: 1st maggoth lord in combat, but he has no command, a ****** aura and a cool regen. i think he is ok.

Glottkin: i made some maths and he is the worst cost/damage*wounds !  the command ability is pretty cool, but, as someone said in another of my posts, he dies too quickly, so i don't think he is that worth (expecially against mortal wounds). however he packs also a cool mage, with a nice spell that can turn marauders into something horrible to face.

So that is the end of this post, i think that it is pretty interesting, i spend quite a lot of time making these maths, i hope it helped someone beside me! now i have to build my army against ironjawz and stormcast, i think i will post a new list soon if someone wants to help me ^^

thanks all for reading, have a nice day!

Unless ive read it wrong.

Some of the stuff you're putting makes no sense, marauders are the real deal? Those guys are terrible. They've no mortal wound saves at all, and with such a low bravery you'd need to take a unit of 30 just for it to be 8, 9 with the banner, and with a unit that squishy they'll fall in droves, they don't hit hard. Ever. 1 attack 4+4+ or 5+3+  1 damage. Useful for dying only .

I've not read the rest really, it kinda put me off. I'll do it later.

it surprised me too, i maybe have a bit exalted them but hear me out. 30 of those guys for 180 points give you: 30/2/2=7.5 wounds (don't count armor save, cause i did it above), they have 30 wounds at 5+. is it that bad for 180 points? warrior gives u 20 attacks that are only slightly better. they tank way less, but;

mortal nurgle has really very few options as battleline. it's the only unit that can compete for objective with the likes of skaven and so on. with the plagueband formation they lose 12 points to gain a nice buff. also with 20+ models they can at 50% have the same weapon of chaos warriors. so is that wrong to pick AT LEAST one unit? imho they are simply good, nothing else. btw now that ward saves are so rare, is not so hard to put out a wound or two and maybe weaken it. furthermore, since they costs only 6 points per model, u can simply block an enemy unit  for a while. 

if u want to go with nurgle, u have plaguebearers that are tankier for 4 more points and sinergies well with glottkin, but i am only talking about mortal nurgle^^

As a nerd with a maths degree I like maths-hammer stuff like this, but always take it with a hefty grain of salt ;)
Yes technically 180 points of marauders cause on average 7.5 wounds, but unless your opponent literally lines up so you can get all 30 into combat, that wont happen. 
I like stuff like this though. Having the "math hammer" numbers for stuff like heroes is really handy :)

Appreciate ur feedback on the heroes! I agree that's too much theory for the battleline, but, u know, at least gives you an objective point of view! 

I actually was quite surprised for spume (i did the cost efficiency in another word page) and he was the most cost efficient hero in terms of damage and tankiness of all rotbringers xD. Of course this doesn't mean he's good, but it changed my opinion about him a little :)

Archived