How to resolve 2/d3 or more damage.

Dream

Question

• Answers 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

...except they are intended as a guide to interpretation, and set the precedent that a) all random values for weapons except damage are generated when that weapon is chosen in an attacking step and applies to all such weapons in the unit, and b) "For Damage, generate a value for each WEAPON that inflicts damage."

That is not overruled by (or in conflict with) the rule you stated. The damage value of the weapon is (say) D3.

You roll once. That is the value you use for all resulting attacks.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

23 hours ago, Andreas said:

When a rule could be interpreted in different ways always choose the way that seems more fun. I like to roll dice so in my opinion the way that allows you to roll more dice is more fun but I am not saying the other way is wrong.

Increasingly I feel that this is the best answer in this thread. The rules for this game should serve two purposes: (1) get everybody on the same page, and (2) make the game fun. I'm in engineering, so math is kinda fun for me. Rolling dice, however, is more fun -- and part of the game experience. I would much rather be rolling 3D3 and hoping for lots of 5s and 6s (or watching my opponent roll 3D3 and hoping against the odds for all 1s and 2s) as this has a greater element of suspense.

On 8/31/2016 at 8:42 AM, daedalus81 said:

More dice will result in a more average and stable result.

This is, I believe, a great side effect of taking the "fun" route. That said, I've played a number of games where my opponent forgot to regress to the mean with plenty of amazing rolls and did a fair bit of steamrolling, but sometimes that's how the cookie crumbles.

Ultimately, I prefer the one-dice-per-successful-wound approach. If my opponent wants to do the latter, he/she can roll that way (or we can both agree to do one or the other). But if this debate prevents the game from being enjoyable, you've got a bigger problem than rule interpretation discrepancies. After all, the rules say to measure model-to-model and bases don't matter, but very few people ever actually listen to that.

Increasingly I feel that this is the best answer in this thread. The rules for this game should serve two purposes: (1) get everybody on the same page, and (2) make the game fun. I'm in engineering, so math is kinda fun for me. Rolling dice, however, is more fun -- and part of the game experience. I would much rather be rolling 3D3 and hoping for lots of 5s and 6s (or watching my opponent roll 3D3 and hoping against the odds for all 1s and 2s) as this has a greater element of suspense.

I think where this will end up with everyone doing what they normally do or think is fun - so 95% of people would roll each dice for each attack because that seems natural. Maybe GW thought this was a time saver.

Funnily enough I would have thought it would be more dramatic if a single dice roll turned 10 D3 damage into 30 or 10. That can be fun in its own way. 

Archived