Drakespawn Chariots?

Lightbox

So there's an awful lot of talk about the Scourgerunner Chariots and how they can perform but I've noticed almost no chatter on the Drakespawn Chariot, is this due to it being really bad? Or simply overshadowed by the same cost Scourgerunner?

Looking at its warscroll it doesn't seem terrible for 80 points, it's attacks are nothing overly exciting but the D3 mortals on a charge could be potentially quite interesting. It feels like something that might perform better in a unit than one on its own to throw out as many shots, attacks and mortals as it can. Though a unit of 3 has quite a big footprint which is a shame but it can also benefit from the black dragons command ability aura (provided you position to get in range) I can also see a unit of 3 parked on an objective with 18 wounds and a 4+ save and big enough footprint to make it harder for enemies to get it but a scourgerunner can do the same, trading some defense for more and better shots and doesn't need a charge to put out damage.

I'd love to hear the thoughts of anyone with a much better mind for analysis than I have, the models are cool and the idea of throwing some chariots into enemy lines rather than them being portable ballista is pretty cool but I just can't help but feel that I'd be hampering myself a lot by not just making them scourgerunners and throwing out those harpoons of doom.

1 hour ago, Joseph Mackay said:

One thing I think is missing from the chariot is the Lances Charge ability from the Drakespawn Knights (rend -2 damage 2 when the unit makes a charge). They have the exact same weapon so why doesn’t the chariot get it?

Honestly I think just adding that would do a lot for the viability of the chariot, making it a good on the charge piece whereas the scourgerunner is a good shooty harassing piece.