Unofficial Campaign Supplement: Savage Lands

Melcavuk

As part of my ongoing series of challenging myself around rules writing I have been condensing my latest supplements and battletomes into a single cohesive campaign supplement in the Savage Lands of Ghur, by picking a particularly volatile setting it allows justification for a number of factions clashing in a localised area.

Whilst still work in progress there are a number of elements now in place, Feedback is always welcome. Current highlights:

Campaign mechanics for a map based progressive campaign
Custom Mega Gargant Maker
Sons of Behemat expanded allegiance abilities and battalions 
Savage Cities of Sigmar rules including tribal benefits and prayers
Industrial Cities of Sigmar rules including the Midnight City, innovations and Cogforts.

https://artisansofsigmarhome.files.wordpress.com/2020/10/btsavagelands-1.pdf

Screenshot 2020-10-30 at 21.37.54.png

• Like 3
  • LOVE IT! 2

Point by point feedback on your highlights (unfortunately haven't managed to properly download the file atm).

-We have a couple different map-based campaign options from GW already. Have they seen success? I honestly don't know. If they have, it may be better to offer additional content for whatever is already working than try to build it from the ground up. If the GW content isn't being used I would personally ask people why they don't as that would give excellent clues as to what your system needs.

-A custom Mega-Gargant maker is going to be really hard to pull off well. I know 'X Maker' things can seem relatively simple from the outside but take it from someone who has made them before: they are among the hardest content to get right. Not saying you shouldn't do it, just a warning in case you haven't tried it before.

-I know Sons' allegiance is lacking, but I personally would stop short of offering an 'expanded' version. Nothing can turn people against an unofficial ruleset faster than upgrades to an army, however justified they may be. It is also still a bit soon, I would wait for the dust to settle a bit. Battalions, on the other hand, can be a great way to sneak in customization options and improvements on warscrolls while also giving them a tangible cost.

-I would just call them "Tribes of Sigmar" but good idea!

-I think you have a good idea here too, with Ghur making an appropriate setting over a more likely option such as Chamon. Because the land itself is in such upheaval the value of mobile fortifications is much greater, as are any sort of steampunk vehicle using legs. On more stable terrain wheels, treats, and static fortifications would be of greater appeal.

On a more general note, GW is looking to release not one but several major campaign books themselves in the upcoming months. This gives you strong competition for attention from the community, with interest in campaign supplements being directed towards official content. What's your plan for dealing with that?

All said looks like a fun concept and I wish you the best in its creation!

Edited by NinthMusketeer