Anvilguard plus Bundo?

bonzai

I have been fighting the urge to start a Scourge Privateers army for some time. I love the idea of a dark elf pirate army, and Fellheart is one of my favorite old world characters. Up till now what has been stopping me is two things. 1. Lack of diversity in the model range. 2. On paper they seemed to be lacking real punching power or game winning mechanics outside of chariot spam. Cities of Sigmar helped but now with Sons of Behemet having a Kraken Eater mercenary, it has me thinking on them again. It brings a wrecking ball/ distraction carnifex type of unit that will take pressure off the rest of the squishy units. Plus its a nautical flavored unit that should fit right in with the pirate theme, and adds more variety to the list.

Here is my first draft of a list;

City: Anvilguard 

Illicit Dealings: Hidden Agenda

Battalions
Charrwind Beasthunters 120

Leaders
Black Ark Fleetmaster 60
Secretive warlock, vitriol spray, Drake scale cloak

Black Ark Fleetmaster 60
Venomfang Blade

Battle line
40 Black Ark Corsair 280
Blades

40 Black Ark Corsair 280
Crossbows

10 Black Ark Corsair 80
Crossbows

3 Scourgerunner chariots 150

3 Scourgerunner chariots 150

Kharibdyss 170
Fellgaze

Kharibdyss 170
Acidic Blood

Allies
Bundo Whalebiter 480

Total: 2,000

Thanks to the battalion the list is 4 drops. It has nice command points, and command point generation. Seems  fairly balanced with melee and ranged options, a little speed, a dabbling of casting mainly to attempt dispels and getting rid of endless spells. Most of the units are battleline, so I should have plenty of scoring options. It is light on heroes, but hopefully FNP from the cloak and the retinue rule should help preserve them a little.

Suggestions and criticisms are welcome. I don't expect top tier performance from it, but it will hopefully make a game of it without resorting to chariot spam.

Edited by bonzai

Wouldn't that mess up my Scourge Privateers allegiance though? 

Edit: I guess that wouldn't mess up much in the long run though. The general has to be Scourge Privateers to unlock the troops, not full allegiance. Cool.

Too bad the Sorceress is 90 points instead of 80. It makes the cuts a little less straight forward.

Edited by bonzai

This is what I could fit after playing with Warscroll Builder, I'm already at 1990 pts.

You could substitute the knight-incantor for a sorceress and an endless spell, but the sorceress is extremely vulnerable and you don't have any points to get a bodyguard for her. Also the knight incantor can be subbed for the Cthululu figure easily I think, the staff is similar. 

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- City: Anvilgard (Illicit Dealings: Hidden Agents)

LEADERS
Black Ark Fleetmaster (60)
- General
- Command Trait: Secretive Warlock - Vitrolic Spray
- Artefact: Drakescale Cloak

Bundo Whalebiter (490)
- Allies

Knight-Incantor (120)
- Artefact: Asphyxica Censer
- Lore of Dark Sorcerery: Vitriolic Spray
- City Role: General's Adjutant

BATTLELINE
40 x Black Ark Corsairs (280)
- Vicious Blades & Wicked Cutlasses
10 x Black Ark Corsairs (80)
- Vicious Blade & Repeater Handbow
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)

OTHERS
3 x Scourgerunner Chariots (210)

BEHEMOTHS
Kharibdyss (170)
- Drakeblood Curse: Acidic Blood
- Cities of Sigmar Battleline (City: Anvilgard)
Kharibdyss (170)
- Drakeblood Curse: Jutting Bones

BATTALIONS
Charrwind Beasthunters (120)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Evantas said:

This is what I could fit after playing with Warscroll Builder, I'm already at 1990 pts.

You could substitute the knight-incantor for a sorceress and an endless spell, but the sorceress is extremely vulnerable and you don't have any points to get a bodyguard for her. Also the knight incantor can be subbed for the Cthululu figure easily I think, the staff is similar. 

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- City: Anvilgard (Illicit Dealings: Hidden Agents)

LEADERS
Black Ark Fleetmaster (60)
- General
- Command Trait: Secretive Warlock - Vitrolic Spray
- Artefact: Drakescale Cloak

Bundo Whalebiter (490)
- Allies

Knight-Incantor (120)
- Artefact: Asphyxica Censer
- Lore of Dark Sorcerery: Vitriolic Spray
- City Role: General's Adjutant

BATTLELINE
40 x Black Ark Corsairs (280)
- Vicious Blades & Wicked Cutlasses
- City Role: Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)

OTHERS

BEHEMOTHS
Kharibdyss (170)
- Drakeblood Curse: Acidic Blood
Kharibdyss (170)
- Drakeblood Curse: Jutting Bones

BATTALIONS
Charrwind Beasthunters (120)

Doh! I should have known that the GHB2030 was already obsolete.  With the point differences, I  agree with the changes you made. Good call on the knight incantor. He is more durable, and the dispel scroll is clutch. The only other change that I would make, is change the spell on the Fleetmaster to sap strength, just to add variety.

Only other possibility I see is dropping the combat squad to 30, the incantor to a sorceress, and boosting the retinue squad to 20 for the boost to hit and max numbers for the retinue

Thanks Evantas and everyone else for the input!

21 hours ago, Lord of the Isle said:

Aren't the blade guys more awesome if they're a horde of 40?

You need 15 to get the bonus to hit. So at 30 they are double the threshold. That being said I am leaning towards the  knight Incantor version a bit more, as the auto dispell scroll is clutch.

35 minutes ago, bonzai said:

You need 15 to get the bonus to hit. So at 30 they are double the threshold. That being said I am leaning towards the  knight Incantor version a bit more, as the auto dispell scroll is clutch.

In terms of how I expect to play, the 10-man corsair squads are objective holders / wounds for your general, they are not meant to initiate combat at all, if possible.  Just poke with the crossbows and contest objectives by being the cheapest source of numbers. However it's probably something you can play around with since you are going to have to paint/setup 60 cosairs anyway. 

I love this list, it seems thematic and nicely symmetrical, please play it soon! I am not able to ever play this army so I'd settle for seeing it vicariously.

Edited by Evantas

2 hours ago, bonzai said:

Ah yes but if 40 of them they are cheaper?

not of course cheaper than 30, but cheaper in general for what they are

Edited by Lord of the Isle

On 10/26/2020 at 1:05 AM, Evantas said:

In terms of how I expect to play, the 10-man corsair squads are objective holders / wounds for your general, they are not meant to initiate combat at all, if possible.  Just poke with the crossbows and contest objectives by being the cheapest source of numbers. However it's probably something you can play around with since you are going to have to paint/setup 60 cosairs anyway. 

I love this list, it seems thematic and nicely symmetrical, please play it soon! I am not able to ever play this army so I'd settle for seeing it vicariously.

Yeah, that is exactly how I see it. 

The difference between 10 and 20 Corsair Crossbows is roughly 7 wounds. Probably not enough to worry about.  As I said before, the auto dispel on the incantor is probably worth more in the long. 

And yes, thematically I love the idea behind this army. I am resolved to go forward with it. If nothing else as a show piece army.