Hi! Back After 20 odd years Updated with pics

DellaMorte

Hi Everyone,

So I used to frequent my (tiny) local GW store in a little town in Surrey back when I was a snotty kid in early secondary school years. Family was skint so I spent more time staring longingly at the models and boxes than anything else but I did start selling sweets at school until I'd saved up enough to buy a little Bretonnian army. Proceeded to lazily half-paint and never had the stones to play in the shop with the elitists so dropped the hobby shortly after having discovered booze and women.

Fast forward to 2020 and here I am having just bought some cheap old and new paints and brushes off of eBay (sod GW prices!) and a release box of Lumineth Realm-Lords which is yet to arrive much to my impatient dismay. With the Covid-inspired Orwellian world we're now living in, I needed something to keep my brain occupied.

My plan; Looking to paint the Lumineth in probably a Spartan-esque/fire elemental guise inspired more by Tyrion as from what I've read he's more my kinda chap than Teclis and I hope to build up some sort of storyline for one of the 4 subfactions on Tyrion's side of the Ten Paradises. Unfortunately despite my searching I can't find ANY hints to the colour schemes for Aurathrai, Oultrai, Helon nor Alumnia.

I was too impatient to be a decent painter back then but I've been doing my homework and hope to paint at a decent level so will pop some pictures up when they're done. I've always liked my models to have a sort of "battle worn" look and imagine my guys spending more time bloodying other's robes rather than cleaning the blood off of their own so will try to add mud and blood and wear if my novice brush skills allow.

As for playing... I don't know anyone in to this stuff anymore so doubt I'll get to play but I'd be up for learning and playing if there are active players in Surrey/London.

If anyone has any suggestions for the aforementioned colour schemes or any other advice for Tyrion based subfactions I'd love to hear from you.

Until next time,
DellaMorte

Edited by DellaMorte
Update
  • LOVE IT! 1

Welcome to the site @DellaMorte! Nice to have someone back from a long break in the hobby and you've picked a great time to get into AoS (well aside from all the covid problems...). 

I don't know Surrey specifically but I know there are several major groups and stores in London area and I'm sure Surrey likely has at least one if not more clubs hiding around. Heck there's likely a GW store itself somewhere in the region with gamers to play with and at. GW store staff are always friendly and, whilst gaming is off for now, I'm sure once things return to some semblance of safe normality they'll be more than happy to give you an introduction to the game side of things. 

Do check out the art section, I'm sure if you post up some photos of your work and ideas you've got, people will be more than happy to help out! 

As for official schemes there might be some references in the Battletome (I've not read/got Lumineth so I don't know). If not then go wild with your imagination. Heck even when GW has official schemes, half the time there are more than enough arguments for a lore-valid reason why they can use totally different colours to the normal. 

@DellaMorte I just saw this post. Welcome and almost the same - I also retuned with the Lumineth back to the game after a long hiatus. The starter box is awesome and I hope you have received it by now. If not, sadly there is absolutely nothing in the Battletome about the Teclian colours. But, just go with a scheme that you like, you can always have them come from a region/city/place/force that doesn't sport one of the Great Nation colours.

And a fiery elemental style looks very likely for a Tyrionic faction if we get one. All of Tyrion's symbols hint at the Sun Spirit. 

Thanks for the kind and helpful welcome! Sorry I've been too busy to get enough downtime to reply or paint (much).

@Overread Thanks for the suggestions - there is store in my  local town indeed so I popped in to say hello - as you say there's no gaming at the moment 'cos of the Covid ****** but staffer said they're always welcoming new players so I think I'll definitely pop down there to see how it goes if we are ever allowed our freedoms back.  So in that respect I think I'll get more out of the hobby than I had anticipated so that always helps justify the monetary expense haha.

@LuminethMage Thanks, my starter box finally arrived Friday just gone, I've somehow aquired 60+ paints, a box of Sentinels and some more Wardens to alleviate the need to connect whilst I didn't have time to make or paint anything... Any excuse huh. You're right about the Battletome giving nothing away for Tyrion et al... Barely a mention so definitely a purposeful ommission due to more models in the pipeline like you say... fingers crossed.

So I took an eternity to decide on the colour scheme but I've settled on the original Spartan idea I had for the wardens - all gold armour, red robes and red/black/white accents for flags etc. I've had enough time to chuck the base layers on so here have a laugh at these. I must admit I found building, de-burring and painting far harder than my cocky mind anticipated so progress will be slow as I want the models to look half decent even if I've never painted anything like this before bar a blue/yellow wash on some Bretonnian archers back in the day.  With that being said... I'm relishing the challenge and learning with every brush stroke although I think these models will be hopefully well painted through sheer will and determination rather than any skill on my behalf lol.

I think the colour scheme will work well for the Wardens but I don't think it'll translate as well to the Dawnriders and Sentinels... I was thinking of keeping the accents red/black/white but the armour at the very least I think may follow the more traditional look? I'd love some opinions or suggestions given my start from the pics. 4

Thanks again for the response, apologies for the wall of text.

warden back.jpg

warden base layers.jpg

• LOVE IT! 1

I think that's a great colour scheme! Sparta really fits well with the Lumineth. And your painting looks good. I think you can use the colour scheme also for the Sentinels and Dawnriders. If you need additional colours, you could keep to something similar (like an orange), or use maybe a nice light blue for contrast. 

I know exactly how you feel - when I painted HE the last time, you couldn't get any advice from the internet (because it barely existed at that point), and the stuff I painted looked pretty horrible, because I didn't understand the basics. I found that there is so much information out there, that even as a bit of an old guy with not a super steady hand, you can get some pretty good results. The contrast paints along with washes and technical colours that citadel (and others) puts out are really helpful. A wet palette is also really good (I made a one myself, there are lots of tutorials). Last time I didn't even know I was supposed to thin the paints before applying them. 

I'm enjoying the painting process much more than I thought. 

To get better advice on painting and more opinions, you could post your test model in the Lumineth Realm-lords thread over here: 

This is where most of us Lumineth players hang out, and there are some really good painters among us. People are really nice and helpful there, especially concerning painting (we don't seem to have as many really competitive players, so questions concerning that topic aren't getting that many replies). 

We also have a dedicated "show us your Lumineth army" thread: 

And the hobby community in general here is really a super friendly bunch, so you can also check for any advice there: https://www.tga.community/forums/forum/27-painting-and-modelling/ 

GW dropped so many hints about Tyrion and his forces in the Battletome, I'm sure we'll see him in the future at some point. It might take a while though.Hopefully the Broken Realms - Morathi supplement which will be released this year has a bit more information on Tyrion. As they are moving forward with the Slaanesh storyline, we might get a bit more information what's going on with him.