Stormcast heavy CoS lists

Django

Hi! 

I’m a stormcast player with half an eye on planning a new army. And obviously since Stormcast only have about 50 warscrolls I though I should consider CoS for some more options.. 😁

What I’m really looking at is getting a more competative army. Stormcast has a lot of diversity and is a lot of fun I think but I tend to never hold objectives (could be because I wanna run Stardrake + Celestant Prime + Gotrek but who knows). 

I’ve heard and read that CoS is quite strong. I was wondering if there are any decent/good builds that utilize the Stormcast ”ally” possibilty? I personally feel like Stormcasts biggest downside is the unbelievably weak battleline options, which I’ve understood CoS don’t have the same problem with. 

I own a Lord Celestant on Stardrake, Celestant Prime, Ballistas and Lord Ordinator, Incantors, and lots of other stuff obviously but these are some of the models I think have good rules on their own but just lack a good army around them. Oh, and I have Gotrek. Seen a few builds with Knight Azyros for that sweet rerolling 1s to hit, I dont own him but need a reason to buy him sooo..

So I have a few questions for you CoS players. I have tried to research this myself, but this army is seriously daunting to get into, with all the cities and special rules in this and that city and this and that unit, it makes Stormcast look super easy to listbuild with. 

1. Is anyone playing a Stormcast heavy CoS list? Is there a competative list that includes Lord Celestant on Stardrake and/or Celestant Prime (my favorite models, hence the question) 

2. What are considered some of the strongest options in the CoS battletome? I can read the warscrolls and some things, like Phoenix guard, stand out, but it’s really hard to figure out the powerful combos. And a problem I had when I got into Stormcast was that I just bought a bunch of stuff and like 60-70% of it will never see play, unless they become good later, because they’re just trash, which is my main concern with getting into another army with a massive amount of warscrolls. 

Side questions: I heard  from an opponent who has a CoS list that she runs 6 decimators and that she somehow gets +1 to hit - on everything - in a CoS build. This sounds really powerful as it effects their shooting attack aswell. What city/hero/whatever is it that makes this possible? 

What I’m looking for really is a way to make the transition to another army a bit less expensive 😁 If I could use some of the models I love from the SCE + Gotrek range that would be fun. 

Thanks guys!

Most cities armies can fit in only 2 stormcast units, (requiring 6 cities units total) so whatever you chooseyou have to make it count.

The most common I've seen are lord arcanums or incantors in hallowheart to benefit from the amazing command ability (1-2 models), celestant prime In hammerhall ( deepstrike and fight twice), dracoth cavalry in living cities ( to easily double move into range with the command ability, also do well with the free healing).

There are a few nice command traits and artifacts to add a stardrakes for a 2+ save, which is nice. I saw one with a command trait to make him a wizard so he could benefit from his own +1 cast, casting the amazing anvil guard no save bubble spell while he got stuck in.

Occasionally people here seem to also use a Ätherwings as cheap objective grabbers or liberators as cheap and sturdyish battleline, although I think cities does battleline better.

The +1 to hit is the celestial hurricanum, which will also help any stormcast you get, as they gain the cities keyword. It is excellent and used in a ton of lists.

On 8/29/2020 at 3:17 PM, Frowny said:

Most cities armies can fit in only 2 stormcast units, (requiring 6 cities units total) so whatever you chooseyou have to make it count.

The most common I've seen are lord arcanums or incantors in hallowheart to benefit from the amazing command ability (1-2 models), celestant prime In hammerhall ( deepstrike and fight twice), dracoth cavalry in living cities ( to easily double move into range with the command ability, also do well with the free healing).

There are a few nice command traits and artifacts to add a stardrakes for a 2+ save, which is nice. I saw one with a command trait to make him a wizard so he could benefit from his own +1 cast, casting the amazing anvil guard no save bubble spell while he got stuck in.

Occasionally people here seem to also use a Ätherwings as cheap objective grabbers or liberators as cheap and sturdyish battleline, although I think cities does battleline better.

The +1 to hit is the celestial hurricanum, which will also help any stormcast you get, as they gain the cities keyword. It is excellent and used in a ton of lists.

Thanks a lot. Any idea where i can find a list that includes dracothian guard and a stardrake perhaps (for the command ability to reroll wound rolls on mounts for the sweet D6 damage on 6s)? Maybe looking through the living city Thread?

11 hours ago, Django said:

Thanks a lot. Any idea where i can find a list that includes dracothian guard and a stardrake perhaps (for the command ability to reroll wound rolls on mounts for the sweet D6 damage on 6s)? Maybe looking through the living city Thread?

For the Lord Celestant on Stardrake, you're probably looking at Living City or Hammerhal to get that +1 save artefact / command trait on him, cuz it's kinda weak otherwise. 

Buddy up with a Hurricanum with Lifesurge, and you have a tanky general to work with. 

Completely no idea otherwise what you wanna get next though. Haven't seen anyone really focusing on it getting the Stardrake to work though. 

Edited by Evantas

16 hours ago, Evantas said:

For the Lord Celestant on Stardrake, you're probably looking at Living City or Hammerhal to get that +1 save artefact / command trait on him, cuz it's kinda weak otherwise. 

Buddy up with a Hurricanum with Lifesurge, and you have a tanky general to work with. 

Completely no idea otherwise what you wanna get next though. Haven't seen anyone really focusing on it getting the Stardrake to work though. 

Thanks, yeah I figured I'd probably go with Living City and run 4 concussors + stardrake. Celestant on Stardrake's command abilility is to reroll wound roll on the dracoth, and with +1 to hit (hurricanum) and then rerolling the wounds where 6's do d6 damage, they are probably quite killy. Also gives me a reason to buy those models.

Struggeling for battle line options though. Such a huge range to choose from. And honestly, the battleline options are incredibly expensive (money wise), I mean 10x phoenix for about 35 euro and you need at least 30.. jesus.