Input on CoS 1000 points list (beginner)

AVDN

Hi! I'm new here :) 
Haven't played Warhammer in forever, but now I'm planning on playing with some friends and we are all putting together a 1000 points list.

Need some input on my list. Just want it to not suck :)

I have some units i can swap in/out (warden kings, runelords, cogsmith, more longbeards, 3 more prosecutors, a helblaster volleygun, human mage, 10 executioners and 5 darkriders)

Was thinking about adding a "Soulscream Bridge", but 100 points seemed expensive for a 1000 points army.
In time I want to expand it to 2000 points, so any tips on what to get next is greatly appreciated!

Here's the list:

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar - Mortal Realm: Ghyran - City: Greywater Fastness

SPEARHEAD
3 x Prosecutors with Stormcall Javelins (90) - 1 x Stormsurge Tridents

MAIN BODY
Runelord (90) - General - Command Trait : Drillmaster - Artefact : Steam-piston Plate Mail
Sorceress (90) - Lore of Smog : Choking Fumes - City Role : General's Adjutant
10 x Longbeards (100) - Great Axes - City Role : Honoured Retinue (Must be 5-20 models)
10 x Longbeards (100) - Ancestral Weapons & Shields
10 x Dreadspears (90)
Gyrocopter (70)
Gyrocopter (70)

REARGUARD
20 x Irondrakes (300)

= 1000 points

Edited by AVDN
  • Like 1

Hi,

The question I would want to ask, is what do you already have?

Sometimes it's just best to work with what you have (preferably assembled and painted) then we can suggest what to add on. 

General Tip however:

1. You put a Celestial Hurricanum w/ Battlemage. In. Every. Single. COS. List. 

(Maybe there's exceptions, but this is a 95% thing)

Other notes:

2. This looks like meeting Engagement, if you are using 2020 scenarios, then you should swap the Irondrakes and Gyros around imo. 

3. What are the Prosecutors supposed to do for your list. IMO they are the first to be swapped out. 

Edited by Evantas
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Evantas said:

Hi,

The question I would want to ask, is what do you already have?

Sometimes it's just best to work with what you have (preferably assembled and painted) then we can suggest what to add on. 

General Tip however:

1. You put a Celestial Hurricanum w/ Battlemage. In. Every. Single. COS. List. 

(Maybe there's exceptions, but this is a 95% thing)

Other notes:

2. This looks like meeting Engagement, if you are using 2020 scenarios, then you should swap the Irondrakes and Gyros around imo. 

3. What are the Prosecutors supposed to do for your list. IMO they are the first to be swapped out. 

Hi Evantas. Thanks for the reply!

1. Ok - even in 1000 points lists? Will check that out for sure! Maybe I could use my AoD on wheels as a proxy?
2. Ok, thanks! Not too familiar with the AoS rules yet - so I wasn't sure where to put them.
3. Well - I have 6 of them. Thought they could add some mobility for taking objectives etc. But I dont mind switching them out!

Here follows a list of the  relevant minis I have (as you can see I have the Island of Blood and Tempest Eye box sets + my old dwarf collection):

Duardin
1 warden king (plastic)
6 dwarf lords (metal)
3 rune lords (metal)
1 engineer/cogsmith (metal)
2 slayer heroes (metal)

20 irondrakes (plastic)
21 longbeards (metal)
12 dwarf rangers (metal) - Longbeards proxy
23 thunderes (metal+ plastic) - Handgunners proxy?
10 random old metal+plastic dwarfs
16 dwarf warriors (plastic, which I dont want to use)
27 slayers (metal)

1 anvil of doom (stationary)
1 anvil of doom (w wheels) - Hurricanum proxy?

1 gyrocopter (plastic)
1 gyrocopter (metal)
1 organ gun (metal) - Helblaster proxy?
1 flame cannon (metal)
2 bolt throwers (metal)

Aelves
1 high elf prince on griffon (plastic) - General on griffon proxy? It is smaller, so maybe stretching it too much?
1 elf mage (plastic) - Sorceress or mage proxy

10 Lothern Sea Guard (plastic) - Dreadspears proxy
10 Sword Masters (plastic) - Executioners proxy
5 Ellyrian Reavers (plastic) - Darkriders proxy

Stormcast
1 Lord-Castellant + gryph hound
6 Prosecutors

Edited by AVDN

Hi, 

This is a sample army for you. It's mainly a shooting army with a line of Longbeards to hold off 

Basic Strategy

Turn 1 (Spear Head) - Runelord and Longbeards run up to occupy an objective with the +1 save and movement, and FNP from Runelord.  

Turn 2 (Main Body) - Your shooting army arrives, your heroes buff up the Irondrakes and Hurricanium

Turn 3 (Read Guard) - Rely on the knights to shore up any problems on the board. 

Allegiance: Cities of Sigmar
- Mortal Realm: Aqshy
- City: Tempest's Eye

SPEARHEAD
Runelord (90)
- City Role : General's Adjutant
10 x Longbeards (100)

MAIN BODY
Warden King (100)
- General
- Command Trait : Hawk-eyed
- Artefact : Patrician's Helm
Celestial Hurricanum With Celestial Battlemage (280)
10 x Irondrakes (150)
10 x Irondrakes (150)
- Ancestral Weapons & Shields

REARGUARD
5 x Drakespawn Knights (130)

• Like 1

Thanks Evantas! Great strategy brakedown :) 

Two questions:

1. Could I use my Ellyrian Reavers as drakespawn knights? Would be nice to create the 1000 points army from what i currently have. 
  2. Would you change the list composition alot for regular pitched battles? I think we will play that more than meeting engagments in the long run. 

1 hour ago, Frowny said:

An anvil of doom would make a great hurricanum, not even just a proxy. Esp for a dwarf army. Might need to make it taller eventually but while you are figuring it what you like, try it as is and see if you like it

Frowny - yes, I agree! Would have to maybe add a horse or two as well.

1 hour ago, AVDN said:

Could I use my Ellyrian Reavers as drakespawn knights? Would be nice to create the 1000 points army from what i currently have. 

They are perfect Dark Riders, and great Outriders. Using them as other cavalry might be too confusing. Don't worry about smaller griffon, though. Just put him on a proper base and you've got yourself a freeguild general on griffon if you ever need him (or, possibly, mage on griffon, but trust me, you WON'T be needing this one. Ever. :D)

And old anvil of doom is such great model for a dwarf themed hurricanum that no one will ever complain despite it being smaller. Maybe put it on an elevated base for the sake of those few complainers that you will encounter ; )

Back to the topic, though: I'd advise against using 5 drakespawn at all. They can be good, but mostly in units of 10 with a dreadlord support. And as they're meant to be your rearguard, dark riders might suit you better here. They're much faster and will pose a threat in the turn they arrive. And they're both tougher and faster than their freeguild equivalents as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, AVDN said:

Thanks Evantas! Great strategy brakedown :) 

Two questions:

1. Could I use my Ellyrian Reavers as drakespawn knights? Would be nice to create the 1000 points army from what i currently have. 
  2. Would you change the list composition alot for regular pitched battles? I think we will play that more than meeting engagments in the long run. 

1. Well like the other poster mentioned, you can try it with Dark Riders and see how it goes. 

2. Hi, my advice is to play a few games, then you probably can figure out your own answers. The list is simply a decent start for you. 

• Like 1