Questions about reach/disengage/Line of sight

bigpaul0909

Okay my friends and I are about 5 games into warcry and loving it.  couple questions.

1. Disengage: if you start a move action with a fighter that is within 1″ of an enemy fighter, you cannot move further away from the fighter than the distance you started.

-If a melee fighter say has a reach of 2" and moves to players A and attacks from 2" away, on Players A's activation is he in combat where if he wants to move he has to disengage first? To me that makes sense but one friend is arguing that it just states within 1" base to base.

Another game we played turned into a Deathmatch, Player A moved the last 2-3 models he has into a Terrain on the ground level that had a ladder going up it vertically, he then on his activation would use wait, then wait again, until Player B(using range 8") could see him via true line of sight, the question is can you shoot through stairs? And while on this topic can you shoot through the terrain gates? from the starter box.

Edited by bigpaul0909

Glad you and your mates are having fun with Warcry!! 😉👍

--

My understanding is that your friend is right: if two fighters are more than 1" away from each other, they can both move normally and don't need to Disengage (Core Book Pg. 41). Even if one of those fighters attacked another with a 2" range weapon.

Only when they are within 1" are fighters considered "in melee combat" and not able to move away or attack other fighters (Core Book Pg. 44).

And yes, measurements are base-to-base (Core Book Pg. 35).

--

Line of sight is just that, can one part of a model can see any part of the other, excluding bases (Core Book Pg. 35). As such, yes, you can attack fighters through ladders, gaps in gates, past corners, over walls, and even between the legs of other fighters, etc.

Be aware that if what you're attacking past/through is Obstacle Terrain (Core Book Pg. 46) then more than likely the target will receive a cover bonus. Note that Cover has been errata'd to work more simply (Pg. 1):
https://www.warhammer-community.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/3bd97281.pdf

I tend to house-rule other fighters as cover, such that any failed hits are then rolled again against the "covering" fighter. This makes clustered fighters more fun to shoot at and makes you more reluctant to shoot through your own fighters.

--

Happy gaming!!

Edited by KhaosSpawn
Added other fighters as cover house-rule.
  • Like 2