Nighthaunt Fluff Question

JackOfBlades

I have a couple of ideas I'm pondering. One is a flesh eater court corrupted by Chaos, either after they already became flesh eaters or they already worshipped Chaos when they were infected with the flesh eater delusion. To support this you also have Walach Harkon and some other blood dragons in the End Times who dedicated themselves to Khorne, showing that it'd be feasible for Abhorrants to be corrupted by Chaos too.

So that part is covered, but the problem is with the Nighthaunt. I want to create a Nighthaunt host which likewise has been corrupted by Chaos, and cooperates or is directed to cooperate with the aforementioned flesh eater court (which the flesh eaters might regard as holy spirits). But as far as I've read (which is not any battletome, just the internet) this doesn't seem possible, as the Nighthaunt are directly dominated by the will of Nagash. My idea would have been that the Chaos gods were motivated to take over Nighthaunt both as a tactic of their war against Nagash and personally because they are offended by his claim of souls that should be claimed by them. Whichever Chaos god(s) seduced the Nighthaunt host in question to claim souls for Chaos instead would promise that they can use their hatred not only to reave the souls of the living but "free" the souls of the hated dead as well (I love that the Nighthaunt are motivated by hatred, it's why I like them - in this case they'd be driven to hatred of the dead that are not bound to Chaos), and that the Chaos god(s) look brightly upon them and will reward them for their faithful service.

Something like that is my idea.... but is something like that going to be plausible in the lore or am I stretching it a bit too far? I think there are two problems, one is whether the Nighthaunt have any mental capacity for treason of Nagash and the other is whether it would matter that they try to rebel, or whether the souls would keep going to Nagash anyway (perhaps Chaos can send some sort of soul siphons to the Nighthaunt...). I am motivated by this clip in particular, where the Elder God tells Raziel that he can "use his hatred to reave their [former master and brethrens'] souls" and implores him to "free their souls, and let the Wheel of Fate churn again", cloaking his parasitic appetite in a kind of twisted true believer righteousness while driving Raziel on. That's what I want too.

Edited by JackOfBlades

I don't see it for Nighthaunt. Their whole concept is that their current form is connected to their former lifes and Nagash brainwashed them to never question his intensions in the afterlife. Even if they do in the beginning, they get assimilated pretty quickly by mind-control or sheer torture. If Chaos could break this cycle there wouldn't be a death faction to begin with. I don't even think Chaos agents could approach Nighthaunt in a direct way and make promises. Nagash would notice because "Nagash is all and all is Nagash".

Maybe you can try it with chaos-tainted Nighthaunt? Caused by a corruption in the ranks inflicted by Skaven? They did mess with Nagash prior to the Necroquake. They wouldn't be Chaos-whorshipping ghosts, but abhorrent forms Nagash would seperate from the other Legions.