SE list to defeat Sylvaneth

Louzi

Hello,

according to the superb battlereport of a Slvaneth player (in this forum below), I ask myself how I (as SE-Player) can defeat a competitve Sylvaneth list.

The Sylvaneths have this awesome Alarielle which heals d6 per turn + Durthu as bodyguard.

I really cant see how you can kill this Alarielle as SE. I dont think, that you can kill her with 10 Retributors, because she is protected and u wont get all 10 in combat...

So the only way to get rid of her is to play with a Celestant Prime and boost him on at least 8 attacks?

Because I think there will be ALOT of Sylvaneth on tournaments, I really ask myself what I can do against it.

Ignore Alarielle, drop your 10 (or why not 20) Paladins or Skyborne Slayers next to their biggest unit (e.g. 6 Kurnoth Hunters or two 3s standing near each other) and take them off the table. 

Stormcast are in a much better position vs Sylvaneth than other armies, as they have both deploying off the table rules and mortal wound spam.

I think what @Nico said is pretty good advice - given you'll have objectives to focus on too.

If you had to take her down with SC, I'd be tempted to include some protectors and a Venator or two.

If you really had the singular focus of taking down Alarielle with a monster bodyguard it might work out to take a LCoSD with some Dracothian Guard. Fire with Fire. Not sure of the effectiveness of them against two tough targets though.

36 minutes ago, Nico said:

It's not great for -1 rend LCoSD.

The Dracoth Knights can deal with just about anything.

Was thinking of the command ability to augment the dracoths but I guess that's an expensive option (take 15 protectors with the dracothian guard instead for example).

SE have a lot going for them when it comes to a face off against Sylvaneth. Sylvaneth have excellent board control and movement. They can put out a lot of damage, but rely on healing rather than highly armored units to survive.

If your opponent is bringing alarielle, it means he's counting on running a war of attrition. Trying to outlast you by healing units up between rounds. For the most part, the max he can do is D6 healing per unit, but can heal every unit within range.

The best way to deal with this is to focus one unit down at a time. Dead models can't be healed. Almost dead models will be at nearly full strength next round.

I would say more than a few protectors (-1 hit shooting and D6 damage for monsters) and Retributors (I believe there's a character or formation giving them +1 to hit. Meaning 2 mortal wounds on a 5 or 6).

Stardrakes are also amazing tarpits. They can easily stay stuck in with a group of 20 dryads even if bunkered in a wood.

I would also include at least one unit of gryph hounds. They will be very helpful for those teleporting treelords/hunters and can be used as chaff to pin a larger target in place for a countercharge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really feel like any army is beatable because AoS is so objective focused. With the teleport and deep striking options combined with different synergies and near immunity to battleshock, the well-balanced SE list can block off, counter, chop the head off, or take apart piecemeal just about any army imo.

Archived