Monstrous Arcanum - update schedule

Myrdin

Question

So I`ve looked around for this a little bit but couldn't really find anything regarding this, thus the best option left is to ask the wider community and hope someone out there knows more about it.

With that said, does anyone know when/how often the Monster Arcanum book is updated ? 

Especially now with bunch of the older factions getting new battletomes in the last two years (BoC, CoS, StD, Orruks and Ogors come to mind), I was wondering if there is a tangible chance that FW will update the book so it is in line with the current state of the game.

It mostly means adding a bunch of keywords to all the units in there so they can be legally taken into matched play games.

(Also the little beastmen fan boy inside me really hopes that there will be a day when Skin Wolves finally get the BoC keyword.... I have 6 of these sitting on the shelf collecting dust... with no real way of bringing them in due to keywords.)

Edited by Myrdin

2 answers to this question

Sadly, I wouldn't expect it too see an update anytime soon. Forgeworld is no longer in charge of updating the rules for their models, all the AoS updates are done directly by the GW AoS team and they do not seem to give forgeworld models and units the same attention as others.

The absolute soonest I could imagine them getting an update would be when this years generals handbook comes out, but I wouldn't count on it.

Edited by Qrow

I think going forward we'll probably get a new Monsterous Arcanum once a version, like the AoS battletomes. 

The current book came out with 2.0, so it is relatively "inline with the current state of the game". I don't think you'll see another til 3.0

That said, they do update individual warscrolls and points as needed. For example, when Gloomspite Gitz came out 6 months after Monsterous Arcanum, they updated all the warscrolls they cared to, as well as points.   Likewise, the Skaven units were updated to reflect "Skaventide" keyword. 

You can see on the pitched battle profiles, the date is "Updated January 2020"

If a forgeworld model does not have a keyword, it's because GW does not want it to have that keyword, not because you are waiting on them to update it.