Ghur - the realm that needs a' fixin

The following is just my local gaming group's attempt to make the realm rules for Ghur more interesting and exciting. We decided to only fix this one for two reasons: 1) Matched play tournaments have a difficult task of implementing its rules and 2) even in open play, my friends and I don't have enough monsters to use. 

Our mindset was to maintain the theme of monsters and the most notable idea we had was having a main mechanic to "create" more monsters on the battlefield, inspired by heroes/units being affected by the energy of the realm. From there, we tried to have the other realm abilities and effects have synergy with the MONSTERS keyword. We wanted to give all armies the capacity to have monster units (albeit temporarily), but also reward lists that have monsters already built in. 

Attached is our first draft of the realm rules/spells, following the general format of the other realms. Some of the rules were tweaked to be more exciting, others just replaced entirely. There's one or two things that objectively could be overpowered but we haven't had an issue in our 10+ games with it so far. 

I open the floor to you folks for feedback and or exciting ideas. Feel free to use these rules in your own games. I've also created similarly formatted docs for each of the other realms as they have notoriously scattered rules between the books. 

GHUR.pdf

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

These rules look really nice. Yes, the realm rules for Ghur seem the most undercooked  of them all which is a problem because that's where the campaign we are currently playing in is set. To articulate my feelings in as few words as possible:

The art and back story depicts large parts of Ghur as a barren waste land. It is lonely and in hospitable. You could walk for weeks with out seeing anyone before falling victim to a wandering band of Troggoths. Yes, the monsters are there but you wouldn't expect a pair of them showing up for every battle.

I am cool with wandering monsters but it would be good if the biggest beasties show up rarely. I like your realm rules much better though, fits the narrative better and far more practical.

• Like 1