Everchosen

Jamie

A strange idea of mine to have a full force of the Knights of ruin, I recently picked up the limited edition Everchosen for the the same price as the standard which is a steal, would this list be viable ? 

Leaders - 440

Archaon the Everchosen - 320

Guant summoner of Tzeentch - 120

Battleline - 1440

Varanguard x6 - 720

Varanguard x3 - 360

Varanguard x3 - 360

Battalion - 120

Overlords of Chaos 

Total - 2000

This list is very small but the Knights are incredibly powerful, with Archaon on the board they'll be hitting on a 2+ whatever weapons they take with -1 rend as well, they also get the chance to pile in and attack twice once per game 

Archaon the Everchosen is the old model on horse (which I would convert with the new model and a varanguard steed) he's a lot cheaper than the new versions but keeps the same rules, would he be allowed to be included in the warscroll battalion? 

The battalion gives me the dice roll each hero phase for the next turn so I'll always know who's going first, 1-3 opponent 4-6 me, which sounds amazing, and the first unit of 6 would be included which get to re roll failed wound rolls if I select a unit to mark for death

All of this makes for a frightening list but would I be overwhelmed by most armies and would I be allowed to run Archaon without his new 3 headed monster ? 

Hope lives for Archaon lists. The one with captain 700 points but only -1 rend busts the points cap at 2020 points.

Probably lose the Heroes can score Battleplan and the one where you need 10 models for the major victory.

I think it would work fine rules and points wise, Archaon is in both warscrolls keywords so the Varanguard still get the benefit of him being on the table, just have to run it by players first, yeah there would be a few battle plans that would make this list hopeless, unless nothing died 

Fundamentally VGs are overcosted, so you're going to struggle - Khorne help you against an equivalent army of Dracoth Knights - their mortal wounds will blow you to bits. It will look great and very fluffy though.

I love this idea of the converted Archaon! I use the big boy archaon and varanguard. I think you need to take advantage of Archaon's command ability to make him worth it which means you cant do pure everchosen :/ but itll be cool to try!

I'll try to put magnets on him so he can use both mounts, the new modle is a lot bigger and better than the last so it would look sick to have him on a huge horse, what are the Varanguard like in game? They look amazing on paper but does this mean their just a bit average in battles ? 

15 minutes ago, Jamie said:

I'll try to put magnets on him so he can use both mounts, the new modle is a lot bigger and better than the last so it would look sick to have him on a huge horse, what are the Varanguard like in game? They look amazing on paper but does this mean their just a bit average in battles ? 

I havent played many games with them but you're right on paper they look pretty good. I run them with fellspears and at 2000 points I run them with 3 Aspiring Deathbringers and a bloodsecrator always attempting turn 2 charge (running the heroes to get in range). The couple times I have pulled this off enemy armies have been vaporized with 6 attacks each, no unit can withstand their charge. 

This is the battalion in question if you haven't seen it, both the Archaon models share the same 'Archaon' keyword, so surely the old models rules would fit in, the only difference I can see is that the old model doesn't have 'Everchosen' as a keyword, i just feel that the new model would better suited for 3000 point games since he's a huge points sink and would involve dropping a unit of Knights 

image.jpeg

Disagree.   Battalions reference units by name not keyword with perhaps one exception out there.  The new Archaon is specifically named Archaon on his scroll.  The old one is not.

Edit : Sorry - meant to say battalions that use keywords explicitly are pretty clearly denoted as opposed to something like this.

They are all referencing by keywords, except in a minority of cases where they have manifestly messed up. The Skarsnik point in the FAQ proves this. Archaon is a keyword. The old one has Archaon as final keyword.

There's no doubt that it's a keyword game.

2 hours ago, daedalus81 said:

There is a SIGNIFICANT difference between these two (see what I did there? ;) ):

8I1tzSy.png

Actually Archaon has both mortal and Tzeentch so he'd technically qualify for that battalion too  

Archived