No more strigoi...

Jon Jones

Hi, I'm hoping to use the charnel pit carrion battlescroll. 

In my app it says I need a strigoi vamp, which I don't think exists anymore. Can I use an abhorrent ghoul King instead? 

I would have thought so but wondered if anyone knew for sure. 

Thanks

JJ

4 hours ago, Jon Jones said:

Thanks for the reply, good answer and question. I am aiming to have him on a zombie dragon and think there is only one in the app, the newer flesh-eater one. Guess I should use that.

JJ

And sincerely is also the best among the two versions, Sincerly I prefer him on the terrorgheist, also cause it's powers and I have to admit...I love the terrorgheist model^^

Anyway the ghoul king on zombie dragon is only in the flesh eater battletome, so  no confusion about it

I think it's not the case. It's not like it's a different version of the same character, ie vampire with fly and so on, but they are two different characters: one is the ghoul kink, the other is a ghoul king on terrorgheist, they are even named differently in waterscroll battallions like "Royal family".

So, you can use a ghoul king in that battalion, but not a "ghoul king on the terrogheist" or "on dragon zombie", cause they are different characters. The "on dragon zombie" or "on terrogheist" is not like the "on nightmare" of a normal vampire: the versions "on dragon zombie" and "on terrorgheist" are different units (different characters) while the third is an option of the model and doesn't have a different warscroll itself.

Different thing is that this thing doesn't apply on the opposite, so ability that work on a ghoul king, work on a a ghoul king on dragon or on terrorgheist; this is so cause they have the keyword that it is involved in the description of the ability, instead in the description of the units avalaible in a waterscroll is the name of the relative waterscroll and not the keywords about it.

Hi Gary (and thank you Deynon)

I wasn't sure and suspected it was as you say, but being a bit green at AoS I was not sure how to find the answers. By the way Gary this whole question is inspired by your battlescroll manoeuvre on me in the game we played and I am seeking my own version of it ?. Vertually garaunteeing turn one in 'border war' is/was massive. 

Well done on your win(s) mate.

Cheers

JJ

4 hours ago, The Lost Lighthouse (Gary) said:

Hey Jon, hope you're well.

It's an odd one as the battalion is pointed but as you said, there's no strigoi. I'd imagine no one would care in a casual game but doubt you'd be allowed at a tournament. I know Chris rolled against it and I think that's fair.

Gary.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Technically speaking is true, but after your pointing I decided to verify the specific content.

It's true that is written Strigoi ghoul king, but it's also true the only option is the abhorrant ghoul king itself.

It's even included with it's own cost in the GH (pag. 151), so I find odd that it's official and at the same time not usable (it doesn't exist a model call Strigoi Ghoul King).

Obviously in a tournament the rules are decided by the organization/arbiters of it itself, but considering the officiality of the waterscroll and the availability of the solution I simply find it quite odd.

In any cause in such situations I always followed the rule to ask/write to the organization of the event before the tournament to have clear about the interpretation about doubtiful rules or options (and print the answer).

This is a wider question that needs an FAQ answer imo. It affects many more armies.

I run the compendium "State Troop Detachment" battalion which costs 120points. The requirements are 3 units of Empire State Troopers/Crossbowmen/Handgunners/Archers, 1 unit of Empire Outriders/Greatswords/Pistoliers and 1 Empire General. None of those units "technically" exist anymore as they are called "Freeguild" somethings instead. I run all the updated warscrolls with the battalion. I would be a little sad if the tournament consensus says this is not allowed. It breaks 90% of the Compendium Battalions.

It's even included with it's own cost in the GH (pag. 151), so I find odd that it's official and at the same time not usable (it doesn't exist a model call Strigoi Ghoul King).

This is because they have just gone through all the PDFs and pointed the battalions without thinking through whether they are no longer viable or not.

You really shouldn't be using either the Strigoi or the Charnel Pit in serious matched play games e.g. tournaments. In particular, you shouldn't be trying to mix and match them with the old stuff, because the buff from the Strigoi is utterly broken if it worked on the new stuff (which is why they changed it).

I'm not even sure if the new Ghoul units would have the right keywords for the Charnel Pit. 

There's no need to use the old filth as the new Flesh Eaters are very competitive - best Death faction after Tomb Kings.

35 minutes ago, Nico said:

This is because they have just gone through all the PDFs and pointed the battalions without thinking through whether they are no longer viable or not.

You really shouldn't be using either the Strigoi or the Charnel Pit in serious matched play games e.g. tournaments. In particular, you shouldn't be trying to mix and match them with the old stuff, because the buff from the Strigoi is utterly broken if it worked on the new stuff (which is why they changed it).

I'm not even sure if the new Ghoul units would have the right keywords for the Charnel Pit. 

There's no need to use the old filth as the new Flesh Eaters are very competitive - best Death faction after Tomb Kings.

Anyway the undead compendium is still avalaible so it should be able to use it at last, Krell is there as well

• 8 months later...

Hi Guys, im very interested in this topis aswell.

I've been playing FE for some time with Horrors as battleline, and wanted to try something else out, and fell over Strigoi Ghoul king..

i am thinking of a 1k setup like this:

Abhorrant Ghoul King (Strigoi) (100)
Varghulf Courtier (160)
Necromancer (120)  for shield
Necromancer (120)  for vanhels dance makabre

Battleline
40 x Crypt Ghouls (400)
10 x Crypt Ghouls (100)

I cant read anywhere that Strigoi isnt a ligit Ghoul king, he has the Flesh-Eater keyword, and with his +1 attack and +1 to hit/+1 to wound, it would make the Ghouls fun to play Again.. with a max of (3+1) attacks times 2 from (vanhels dance makabre) they would be a force that could do some damage.. and come back to life with the help of the varghulf....

Archived