Do Citadel Woods/ Wyldwoods grant cover?

Charleston

Question

10 answers to this question

1 minute ago, ppetford said:

I was just clarifying the rules of cover and the rules for obstacles.

The rules for cover in AoS is granted when a unit is wholly within or on a terrain piece, page 7 of the core rules. This grants +1 to their save roll. Note this is not the same as the rules for an obstacle.

An obstacle blocks line of sight for shooting attacks targeting a unit behind and within 1” the terrain piece, page 9 of the core rules. Note, this is not the same as the rules for cover and does not grant any bonuses to save rolls.

It does not block line of sight. Go reread it.

OBSTACLES

Some terrain features are obstacles that block attacks to targets that lie beyond them. When this is the case, it will be noted on the warscroll for the terrain feature.

When a missile weapon targets an enemy unit that is within 1” of an obstacle then then target receives the benefit of cover if the attacking unit is closer to the obstacle than the defending unit.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Charleston said:

Thank you very much for this (amazingly fast) answer! Can you maybe ask my extended question of how this affects meele combat?

The obstacle rules only apply to ranged combat. In melee combat @ppetford is correct that you have to be inside the terrain feature to gain the cover benefits it is within so you can be on the edge of the woods to keep your opponent from gettinng inside.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, King Taloren said:

It does not block line of sight. Go reread it.

OBSTACLES

Some terrain features are obstacles that block attacks to targets that lie beyond them. When this is the case, it will be noted on the warscroll for the terrain feature.

When a missile weapon targets an enemy unit that is within 1” of an obstacle then then target receives the benefit of cover if the attacking unit is closer to the obstacle than the defending unit.

Ha! I’ve been playing this all wrong. Thanks for correction 🙌

Just now, ppetford said:

Ha! I’ve been playing this all wrong. Thanks for correction 🙌

No problem. Yeah the line of sight blocking for the woods is the baked in abilities on the warscroll. Overgrown Wilderness.

There is no other line of sight blocking rules (that I recall atm) except for the true line of sight blocking when the models are completely hidden from view.

16 minutes ago, King Taloren said:

OBSTACLES

Thank you very much for this (amazingly fast) answer! Can you maybe ask my extended question of how this affects meele combat?

24 minutes ago, King Taloren said:

The obstacle rules tell you when a unit receives the benefit of the cover rules. Read page 9 of the app core rules.

I was just clarifying the rules of cover and the rules for obstacles.

The rules for cover in AoS is granted when a unit is wholly within or on a terrain piece, page 7 of the core rules. This grants +1 to their save roll. Note this is not the same as the rules for an obstacle.

An obstacle blocks line of sight for shooting attacks targeting a unit behind and within 1” the terrain piece, page 9 of the core rules. Note, this is not the same as the rules for cover and does not grant any bonuses to save rolls.

**Edit** ignore me, I’m wrong 😅

Edited by ppetford

30 minutes ago, King Taloren said:

The woods are an obstacle which grants the cover rules. Any terrain feature that is also an obstacle will grant cover. It’s listed in the description of the model on their warscroll not a rule printed on the warscroll itself.

The obstacle rule covers line of sight blocking - not whether something counts as cover. When something grants cover you get +1 to save rolls

**Edit** again... wrong 😘

Edited by ppetford