StD + Major Daemon or big Guy discussion

GeneralZero

I like the StD. Yes, I'm in the wagon of all those impatient people crying for a StD which is promised soooooooooooooooon (meaning between now and never).

One of my  main idea or motivation for StD, except the fat that I love them, it that it is an army that I can play according to my (ever changing) taste: sometimes chaos, or nurgle etc... and therfore  that I can add the big monsters that I like.

I love the big guys, the major daemons (GUO, Lord of change etc...). Unfortunately, most of time, they only boost Daemon units. :( But I want to play them.

So, I ask here for people that now them and give their enlightment. Which is the best in a StD army? What synergies (well, I can beleive in santa, right?)? ...

Here are some contenders (but non exhaustive list)

GUO (which one? which weapon?)

Bloodthirsters

Lords of change

KoS

Archaon (well, this one is obvious, isn't he? But super expensive)

but also some big guys like:

the glottkin

thanquol

vermilords (WTF? but hey, they are cheap!)

Ghorgon or Cygor (artillery like?)

Are you playing StD or a god given Alligience? This has actually a quite big influence as most Greater Daemons often buff units that belong to their god.

-> GUOs and Glottkin give Nurgle (Mortals) +1 Attack with their Command Ability

-> Various Bloodthirsters give Rerolls for Khorne Units

->Tzeentch Birdie gives a "+X to cast" Aura for Tzeentch Wizzards

If your Army is unbound, each of them rather looses in strength as they loose access to their spells, artifacts and traits.

Verminlords are too many different Profiles, you would have to check if any one of them has any worth to you. Concider that each buff you can´t use is a part of wasted points in that units profile.

This also applies to Archaon, at least as long as he and his Varanguard are not within our Alligience.

I´m sorry that this rather looks like a "nope, no real value hidden" post, but until we get that sweet new StD Book we all dream about, we have to stay patient or live with rather expensive and semioptimal units to use as big guys. I for my own started for my StD´s with a Slaughterbrute which was rather meh, then I´ve got a Soul Grinder which was quite ok actually. Then I switched to play StD Alligience into Khorne Alligience, got some buff heroes, some nice hardhitters which StD lack and...yeah, I now play Blades of Khorne until that new book hits the stores.