Finish on an Airbrush Booth?

Lior'Lec

Hey all, I’m building myself a new combination airbrush and photo booth as I intend to start using the airbrush a little more in my projects. I’ve installed LED lighting and I’ll be painting the interior white so it will be nice and bright when working, but I’m unsure which finish I should give it when done. Would a glossy finish make cleaning easier, or would it make the interior too glaring? Should I stick to a flat/matte finish or somewhere in the middle like a satin varnish? Anyone here have a homemade booth and care to share their opinions and experience on the subject?

Hmmm, you could buy thin plasticard or similar sheets that you simply glue to the surfaces. It's white, quite robust, usually has at least one very slick surface and should be easily cleaned. I'm not sure any paint will give you those properties, although there are some special wall paints used in bathrooms that are very plastic-like and can be washed/get wet without a problem. Just an idea...

I’ve got the frame built and wired plus the first coat of primer painted on the inside. I have a few more steps before I’m fully done with it but all of that can wait until after I’ve gotten the inside painted and sealed (so I can be using it while I finish building it). The box is fairly large, 24” wide by 18” deep so covering it in plasticard wouldn’t be very efficient, I’ve decided to just paint it a bright white and I’ll seal it with satin polycrylic. If the satin isn’t bright enough I can always apply a gloss coat over the top of it (but even the one coat of flat white primer makes it very bright with 7’ of led’s in there). I’m actually ready to start applying the second coat of primer if I can just figure out where the heck my brush ran off too.

Archived