Ridiculous Thunderquake Starhost 2,000pt List - Feedback?

themortalgod

So I've been meaning to start my Seraphon army over again. (It has been collecting dust since like 6th fantasy) and I was thinking I'd go for a list based on Thunderquake Starhost. 

I really wanted a list where I could play an interesting cat and mouse style guerilla strategy game so came up with the following list. I'd love to hear your thoughts. 

1x Slaan Starmaster - General, Great Rememberer, Ignax Scales - 260pts

1x Engine of the Gods - Thermalrider Cloak - 220pts

1x Stegadon - 220pts

1x Stegadon - 220pts

10x Skinks - 60pts

10x Skinks - 60pts

10x Skinks - 60pts

10x Skinks - 60pts

4x Salamanders - 160pts (in starhost)

4x Salamanders - 160pts

3x Skink Handlers - 40pts

4x Razordons - 160pts

4x Razordons - 160pts

Thunderquake Starhost - 120pts

Total: 2000pts

- Yup, I have a flying Triceratops. I don't care if it's not optimal. Its gonna be AWESOME! ;)  I'm planning to put a skink starseer on top of the model just because I love the Starseer model but don't see any use for a Starseer in the force.

- The Slann's job is it teleport Razordons and concentrate on summoning more Razordons or Skinks. He won't be casting many spells.  (if any)

- The monsters will mostly focus on getting in the way and being my objective grabbers in missions that need heroes or monsters to hold objectives.

- The Razordons will be teleported all over the place with the intention of driving my opponents nuts (this is why they don't have handlers)

- Salamanders will set up near objectives and start belching

- Skinks will do what skinks do. :) 

- I HATE the current Salamander and Razordon models so my plan is to get the old finecast flesh hounds as Salamanders (with some conversion work) and new plastic flesh hounds as Razordons (also with some conversion work). It is convenient that the old ones are scaled and look a bit like lizards while the new ones are more spined. ;) 

I'd love any feedback, suggestions, thoughts, etc. I know the army isn't going to be winning tournaments but I hope it also isn't going to get run over by every casual opponent. 

3 minutes ago, Calebexnihilo said:

I love max Razordons/Sallies. Underrated unit! 

You can get flying on all your beasties with the Slann command ability (flying and rerolling saves in shooting phase)... So I'd use a different artifact. 

Hmm, I forgot about that, though it doesn't speed them up at all and I generally don't want the Slaan near the frontline. Any suggestions though? I'm not a fan of most of the Seraphon ones. Maybe switch to a different realm and also drop the scale from the Slaan. 

6 minutes ago, themortalgod said:

Hmm, I forgot about that, though it doesn't speed them up at all and I generally don't want the Slaan near the frontline. Any suggestions though? I'm not a fan of most of the Seraphon ones. Maybe switch to a different realm and also drop the scale from the Slaan. 

Thunderquake falls apart if the EOTG dies, so I tend to give him a defensive artifact. Gryph-feather, Ignax, etc. I've used Incandescent Retrices a few times on the EOTG to bring it back to life. Retrices is decent on him since he is unlikely to be over killed by too much at 10 wounds. 

I'd hang the EOTG and slann back (but still in range of Stegs to give them the Battalion bonuses) and use them to summon in replacements as your Razors and salamanders are killed. 

8 minutes ago, Calebexnihilo said:

Thunderquake falls apart if the EOTG dies, so I tend to give him a defensive artifact. Gryph-feather, Ignax, etc. I've used Incandescent Retrices a few times on the EOTG to bring it back to life. Retrices is decent on him since he is unlikely to be over killed by too much at 10 wounds. 

I'd hang the EOTG and slann back (but still in range of Stegs to give them the Battalion bonuses) and use them to summon in replacements as your Razors and salamanders are killed. 

Fair, but since they have to be within 8" of the EOTG, doesn't it have to be relatively forward too? I guess more accurately, I can't really keep the Slaan back if I want to maximize the healing from the starhost.

Or does it make more sense to switch to Bastilodons and have the whole force hang back unless the mission requires I move forward with them? 

1 minute ago, themortalgod said:

Fair, but since they have to be within 8" of the EOTG, doesn't it have to be relatively forward too? I guess more accurately, I can't really keep the Slaan back if I want to maximize the healing from the starhost.

Or does it make more sense to switch to Bastilodons and have the whole force hang back unless the mission requires I move forward with them? 

Yeah possibly. I've only ever played it with two Bastiladons. I usually try and put that bubble of death near the middle objective and deploy/shoot from there as needed. That 3+ unrendable save on Bastiladon gets even tougher when it's rerolling in the Battalion. 

Stegadons want to be up with the skinks tho, or up hitting hordes. If you know you are facing some hordes, the sunfire Stegs can devastate them. 

13 minutes ago, Calebexnihilo said:

Yeah possibly. I've only ever played it with two Bastiladons. I usually try and put that bubble of death near the middle objective and deploy/shoot from there as needed. That 3+ unrendable save on Bastiladon gets even tougher when it's rerolling in the Battalion. 

Stegadons want to be up with the skinks tho, or up hitting hordes. If you know you are facing some hordes, the sunfire Stegs can devastate them. 

Right, forgot about them being un-rendable, That actually is wildly good. Have you tried Bastiladons with the snake launchers much? I feel like in some situations that can get pretty nasty. How about this updated list?

Went with Gryph Feather since I think the Bastilodons will attract mortal wounds so likely fewer will be targetting the engine. 

1x Slann Starmaster - General, Great Rememberer,  RockJaws  - 260pts

1x Engine of the Gods - Gryph Feather Charm - 220pts

1x Bastilodon - 280pts 

1x Bastilodon - 280pts

10x Skinks - 60pts

10x Skinks - 60pts

10x Skinks - 60pts

10x Skinks - 60pts

4x Salamanders - 160pts (in starhost)

2x Razordons - 80pts

4x Razordons - 160pts

4x Razordons - 160pts

Thunderquake Starhost - 120pts

Total: 2000pts

I like the snakes variant outside of Thunderquake. The snakes are great to teleport in and cause havock. But Thunderquake is def a turtling Battalion for the three big beasts... So I tend to bring solar engines for that. 

If you haven't built them yet, you can magnetize the solar engine and the snake Ark.

Archived