Playing with or without behemoths

Babur

Question

Hello everyone,

My friends and I will start a little tournament with differents armies of 1000 points.
Our armies are nearly ready but we've got some questions. Most of them are answered but we were wondering if it's fair to play with behemoth against someone who doesn't have one. For exemple one of us plays the Sylvaneth and will use the Treelord (behemoth - 260 points)
I know that it isn't against the rules but from your experience is it fair?

Thanks for your time and sorry for my bad english

4 answers to this question

It's not unfair. Behemoths certainly aren't overpowered under the GH. Many of the best ones are overcosted. While they can hit hard, they often suffer from bad keywords (so bad synergies). Few of them will emerge well from an encounter with a block of heavy infantry (e.g. Stormvermin, Phoenix Guard, Saurus Guard). There are also hard counters to them (Protectors and Wildwood Rangers for example).

On the other hand, at such a small size, if you were taking Alarielle or Gordrakk, then that probably wouldn't be a fun game.

General rule of thumb - Behemoths that just have the MONSTER keyword need a bit of thought and resource, but eminently killable.

Behemoths with both HERO and MONSTER should be kept at arm's length and very carefully considered - or drowned under bodies as Nico points out. ?

The thing to bear in mind is that because hit/wound rolls aren't affected by the opposition, killing big stuff is effectively just a matter of who rolls most dice first.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Think of it this way -- a hypothetical unit of ogres with a total of 12 wounds and 12 attacks loses attacks as models die.  This, too, happens to monsters. They become weaker as time goes on and often much slower as well.  So, you can just think of a monster as a unit of models tightly packed together.

Archived